VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I File For Combat Or Non Combat Ptsd

Rate this question

SKIPRAY

Question

First,I want to thank all the posters on this site.I have been reading as much as I can on this site for the past year and have learned so much.

I was finally diagnosed with ptsd from the va.They have been treating me for depression since 1994.My question is should I file for non-combat or combat related depression/ptsd? My stressor for non-combat is easier to prove and is irrefutable.Does it make a difference in benefits which one I file for?

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

[quote

.. after the first gulf war all of the clerks in the G1 were wearing CIBs and their explanation was they were assigned to a Infantry Division (24th) in a war I asked a CSM about it a day or 2 later he went off the next time I was in the G1 they weren't wearing CIBs anymore a clerk MOS does not qualify for a CIB...

Edited by Commander Bob

• HadIt.com Elder

(5) Korea on the DMZ (4 January 1969 to 31 March 1994).

obviously they added this in 1994 but this is the first time I have seen it I have heard rumors about this but before this I thought it was until 1974 when they took the DMZ troops off hazardous duty pay but I have been out since 1992 and haven't paid attention to Army rules and changes to awards that seems to add 20 years of troops assigned to DMZ units that would be eligible for CIB's

• HadIt.com Elder

Being in a infantry war zone unit, does not necessarily earn one a CIB.

*** you must be assigned to an Infantry unit during such time as the unit is engaged in active ground combat, and must actively participate in such ground combat.

• HadIt.com Elder

part of the time when I was there was no authority to issue any CIB's to anyone during the Paul Bunyan incident and there were numerous shooting incidents in the DMZ for years up to 1974 August I think it was they stopped awarding the 2nd Div as a combat patch & CIBs to DMZ personnel my brother was at Camp Greaves from 72- 76 when they moved the 31st down to Camp Casey we had some patrols get into shooting engagements in 75 and they could not get CIB's as the Division stated they didn't have the authority to award them any more until that ship was sank most of the shootings only occurred on the DMZ I did watch a policeman blow away some one in the bus station in Munsan they claimed in the paper that he was a North Korean how they could tell the difference I have no idea lol...... I just did not know they even awarded anyone a CIB from 74-94 I was surprised to see that line in there

Edited by Testvet