Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

New To Posting

mpara

Greetings to all of my Brothers and Sisters

This is my first time to post. I actually set up my account a while back but never actively participated.

I am very interested in Gulf War Syndrome issues as both my wife and I served in Desert Storm. I know many people don't believe there is anything to this but I can assure you something is going on. I fear history will forget us and funding will dry up for research into GWS. Please remember that while this didn't seem like much of a war, as they go, it was the only war we had and every single one of us went over there hearing of how Sadam commanded the fourth or fifth largest (soviet equipped) army in the world, that he was a madman who possessed massive stockpiles of chemical agents that he had in the past and would in the future use and that it was supposed to be the "mother of all battles". I think it somehow went all backwards for us as we marched in the parades that really should have been our Dad's and Uncle's from Vietnam and Korea; parades which it seems came in advance of what would end up being our battles and before our wounds ever manifested.

You might say I grew up in the system as I used to drive my Grandpa (WWII, Seabee) the Greatest Man in the world, to his VA appointments when I was a teenager. Now thirty years later I set in the same waiting rooms where I used to set with him. I think the VA has come a long way in that time.

And on a final note, my wife and I watched my oldest daughter head off for Army Basic Training this summer. I am so completely blown away with the bravery in the best of this generation as they raise their right hand taking the oath during war-time. As I read stories about these brave young service members going on two and three deployments and see pictures of these amazing Warriors competing in Marathons as amputees I cannot help but think that we are witnessing what will some day be another ""Greatest " generation. I have hope in that these young Warriors will come home and one day lead this wonderful country of ours.

Anyway, God Bless each and every one of you for service to our great Nation.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

GWVs have certainly had a rough road in getting service connection.

The VA does not recognize "Gulf War Syndrome". They do recognize certain "qualifying chronic disabilities" as defined in this BVA decision:

In part:

"The Board finds that this claim must be denied because Gulf

War syndrome cannot properly be considered a "disability"

for purposes of VA benefits. See, e.g., 60 Fed. Reg. 6660,

61 (Feb. 3, 1995) ("Persian Gulf Syndrome" is not a disease

entity currently recognized by VA or commonly accepted within

the medical community)."

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp08/files4/0835289.txt

This case however defines what those qualifying chronic disabilities are:

In part:

"A Persian Gulf veteran is defined as a veteran who served on

active duty in the Armed Forces in the Southwest Asia Theater

of operations during the Persian Gulf War. See 38 U.S.C.A.

This is link to Larry Js post of the Nine new presumptives and there is further discussion on Gulf War vets claims at hadit.

mpara,

I'm thankful for your family's proud legacy of military service.

My best friend was an accomplished athlete and Naval Academy graduate. He chose the Marines and served in Gulf I, then came home with chronic fatigue (don't think it had a name then) and hasn't applied to the VA.

Your service is no less noble or valuable than that of any other veteran- get what's yours!

Welcome.