VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Word A Claim

Rate this question

Geo4K

Question

I am working up my claim for cervical vertigo (CV) - it's my biggest, most bothersome and significant claim. I feel (and my Doc thinks it is reasonable) that my dizzy spells/CV are a result of the DDD I now have (and that the VA has acknowledged).

I have a MRI next Tuesday and a ENT appointment the week after. My new Doc is interested in helping me and has volunteered to write a Nexus letter for me. I'll be claiming CV, with headaches when my neck pain is bad - all due to the three neck injuries and resulting DDD in my C spine.

My question is how to articulate my claim for headaches, secondary to the DDD? I've seen some good advice here and have learned much from a lot of reading, but would like to hear some thoughts specifically on this. So long as my neck is in big pain, my head pounds. I eat aspirin and sleep a lot until it lets up.

Advice?

Geo

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

70+ views and no comments?

Come on folks, I am new at this, throw me a bone!

Many Thanks -

What are your service connected disabilities? I would need this to start, I started mine like this and it has worked for me. Keep in mind that I my be wrong and totally off. I would hope that others would chime in.

Edited by pacmanx1

• HadIt.com Elder

What you really need is a medical opinion that states the secondary condition is the result of the primary condition. For instance, you have SC connected DMII. If you want to get a cardiovascular condition SC'ed as secondary you need a medical opinion to state the connection for you.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am working up my claim for cervical vertigo (CV) - it's my biggest, most bothersome and significant claim. I feel (and my Doc thinks it is reasonable) that my dizzy spells/CV are a result of the DDD I now have (and that the VA has acknowledged).

I have a MRI next Tuesday and a ENT appointment the week after. My new Doc is interested in helping me and has volunteered to write a Nexus letter for me. I'll be claiming CV, with headaches when my neck pain is bad - all due to the three neck injuries and resulting DDD in my C spine.

My question is how to articulate my claim for headaches, secondary to the DDD? I've seen some good advice here and have learned much from a lot of reading, but would like to hear some thoughts specifically on this. So long as my neck is in big pain, my head pounds. I eat aspirin and sleep a lot until it lets up.

Advice?

Geo

Okay, you say that the VA has acknowledged your DDD. Has the VA Service-Connected this DDD?

Is Cervical Vertigo a "ratable" disorder and is it known to be caused/exerbated by the DDD?

What are your doctor(s) "calling" your headaches, e.g. "tension headaches" "migraine headaches", etc.? And, do they give a nexus between the DDD and the headaches?

Can you now, considering your "eating aspirin and sleeping a lot" can you now work?

What effect does your DDD/CV/headaches have on your life? Your quality of life must be suffering, personal relationships, enjoyment of things you once enjoyed, ability to move about, drive a car, travel, read, do crafts/hobbies? If your life quality has suffered, then you most probably have depression and, probably, somewhat severe depression at that.

Do the aspirin cause stomach upset, ulcerations of the mouth or throat, gastroentestinal bleeds, cramps, pain, nausea?

Do you take NSAIDS (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs)? Do these have any of the preceeding symptoms?

Ball's in your court!

Do we need to be turning in a claim for your DDD?

Your CV?

Your headaches?

Total Disability due to Individual Unemployability?

Major Depression Disorder?

Pain Syndrome?

Gastrointestinal Complications of the Aspirin/NSAIDS?

What have you done so far?

Any of the above?

If so, when?

What was the outcome?

How we doin' so far?

I regret I missed this post - it has taken me all week to word my IHD claim for SMC accrued under Nehmer properly-

and I think some claims definitely fail because they are not worded properly.

LarryJ asked the important questions.If we know more we can help more.

This vertigo might be secondary to the DDD and ratable but is the DDD service connected yet?

"I have a MRI next Tuesday and a ENT appointment the week after. My new Doc is interested in helping me and has volunteered to write a Nexus letter for me. I'll be claiming CV, with headaches when my neck pain is bad - all due to the three neck injuries and resulting DDD in my C spine."

He/she should follow the IMO format here at hadit and refer to your SMRs as to the three neck injuries if the service nexus has not been established yet for the DDD.

I think many didn't respond because we dont have enough info here to respond to-if you answer Larry's questions -we can help more.