VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fentanyl And Depression

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been taking the fentanyl patches for about three weeks. They have not done much for my pain, but I feel more depressed than usual. My sleep is pretty awful with vivid dreams and waking up soaking wet. Have others had these kinds of problems with fentanyl? I am at the end of my rope regarding treatment for pain. VA keeps telling me how awful percoset (oxycodone) is and that I need to be on some long lasting narcotic. I had horrible experience with the long acting morphine and methadone. I think if I stopped all pain meds that after initial period of discomfort there would be no difference in my pain. I am of two minds about this. It seems the more drugs for pain you take the worse you get. Is this my imagination?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been taking the fentanyl patches for about three weeks. They have not done much for my pain, but I feel more depressed than usual. My sleep is pretty awful with vivid dreams and waking up soaking wet. Have others had these kinds of problems with fentanyl? I am at the end of my rope regarding treatment for pain. VA keeps telling me how awful percoset (oxycodone) is and that I need to be on some long lasting narcotic. I had horrible experience with the long acting morphine and methadone. I think if I stopped all pain meds that after initial period of discomfort there would be no difference in my pain. I am of two minds about this. It seems the more drugs for pain you take the worse you get. Is this my imagination?

John,

It can be a side effect of the drug that causes your nightmares, but do not stop the pain meds "cold turkey" you must be taken off gradually. I think I remember you saying that percocet works for you, if so they do have a long acting percocet drug. It is called oxycontin, I don't know if it is available through the VA though. I don't know if surgery is an option, but it might be something to consider. All in all pain control is a difficult topic, due to the fact that people abuse the meds. It sucks for people like you and me who have chronic pain. I think your best option is to contact your doctor and discuss your options. Let me know if you need an opinion and I will advise you. Send me a PM.

Take care, hang in there,

Bergie

Its not in your imagination, unfortunately you build up tolorances and it takes more and more. Pain meds can cause depression as well. Finding that right balance is always a challenge. Have you tried torodol?

• HadIt.com Elder

Kelly

The VA tests for marijuana in your urine. In my state it would be a one way ticket right out of any pain management. If they even find a trace of alcohol you get kicked out. However, in some states it is going to be legal for VA to prescribe it. This seems to be the height of discrimination against disabled if the VA can only prescribe it in states that allow it. In one state it will be a crime and in another it will be a treatment. It is like the difference between crack and powder cocaine. You get years in prison for crack and maybe probation for a small amount of powder cocaine especially if you are a rich white person.