VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vet Now P&t How Is Chapter 35 Determined For Daughter

Rate this question

halos2

Question

Can a new effective date be established from current award or due to the fact it goes back for retro date of 8 months ago? Was previously claimed as dependent and cut off at age 23, and has been continuing college post initial first bachelor's degree towards masters. Now with parent vet's P&T award can daughter receive educational benefits?

The regs seem to use age 26 as cut off but also there is information regarding appeals to dates and certain circumstances. Also if vet wants to take other grad courses would she be eligible? Also I could not find any specifics regarding amounts of funding other than some writings of 45 months worth. I realize also read 7 yrs on some and 10 yrs on other.

Should the vet apply via her VSO?

Any information in this area is greatly appreciated. Vet did not use all of her own GI Bill, from years ago, and paid for degrees for self in the past.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

and on the chap 35 benefit for DEA, IF the student has turned 26 while awaiting for you to be declared P&T, then the student can go back to the date that you turned in your claim (the EED) for P&T. In other words, if your student was not yet 26 when you filed your claim, then they can go back to that date and start from there.

My son was 26 (almost 27) when I was awarded 100% P&T, but WAS NOT yet 26 when I filed my claim for 100% P&T, so he qualified for chap 35 DEA and was granted his 45 months worth of DEA from my filing date. He received a big check for the time between my filing and his receiving (retro) to cover his expenses up until the current date. He received his $915 a month as long as he was carrying a full academic load, less when he was taking "summer school" classes of less than 12 semester hours. He used up all but, like 13 months of his alloted 45 months worth. He is now talking about using that 13 months worth in getting his doctorate. He has until he is 30-something to use it all up.

But, the student NEEDS to go through their school's Financial Aid department (this is where the VA Chap 35/GI Bill person will be located) and work with them, they are the experts, supposedly, and the one that will be making the reports to Muskogee VA.

Pete, bronco, and larryj,

Thanks I needed all that info. Funny I stopped by the VSO offices(while there for 2 appts) and asked 2 different reps there about the age factor and eligibility date effectiveness, one said he knew nothing about Chapter 35, and the other said age at 26 was cut off and didn't go back to date of awardance of P&Twith students age. Then he said well if they did then they stop it once she is 26, yeah right! I haven't told her of this yet cause I didn't want to give her false hope. You guys seem 100% sure so I want to advise her of this...

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks I needed all that info. Funny I stopped by the VSO offices(while there for 2 appts) and asked 2 different reps there about the age factor and eligibility date effectiveness, one said he knew nothing about Chapter 35, and the other said age at 26 was cut off and didn't go back to date of awardance of P&Twith students age. Then he said well if they did then they stop it once she is 26, yeah right! I haven't told her of this yet cause I didn't want to give her false hope. You guys seem 100% sure so I want to advise her of this...

Yup, on this one you can hang your hat. I "lived" this one, been there, done that, got that T-shirt, also!

Something else, when my Son (with my help) filled out his request for chap 35 DEA, from the time he turned it in until the time he received his "okay" was just a couple months..........I'm hearing all sorts of horror stories about how long it is taking.....but he did not suffer that delay.....now, it may be that the "GI Bill" veterans are having this delay......due to the "new" regulations re: the OEF/OIF/GW veterans influx, but, the chap 35 dependents are not that unfortunate..........but, of course, that could be just my Son was lucky. HEY, who knows?

• HadIt.com Elder

As usual your VSO is wrong. 26 is sort of a cut off date but once in the program it can last much longer. My oldest son collected at age 33 for 1 year. I know we took care of our Granddaughter during the day for 12 months while he went to School.

Do not use this VSO to make any decisions please.