VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Concern

Rate this question

mickey138

Question

I am currently being treated for ptsd outside of the V.A. My current therapist feels the V.A. would be better at treating me. I went to a screening at the V.A. without any doubt the screener stated yes I have ptsd and he lined out a large list of benefits I can use for treatment. I went to start making appointments and was told I was being denied treatment because I make to much money and have no service connection. It is my therapist and the screeners opinion the ptsd was prior to military service. I agree. I have a extensive background of drug abuse and child abuse. In the military I saw no combat. I am being set up for a c&p exam. What I am currently struggling with is how I can connect at all to my time in service. I understand I will need to show that my condition was exasperated by my time in. My concern is will the examiner choose to direct questions that way. Do I need to direct conversation into a specifc direction and point out how it was exasperated. Prior to joining The military I had been to a drug rehab and was sober. That is documented in my service record. It was also documented that I had fallen off the wagon while in the military is that a example of exasperation. I guess what I am looking for is what exaxtly do I need to do or look for in making a service connection . If I cant fine. If I cant fine. I just want to get treatment at the V.A. or elsewhere.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

There is a part of the regs that refer to a service member being of Sound Mind & Body at enlistment. Essentially, it means that the military examined you and decided you were just fine when they accepted you. Here's the wording you would want to include on a Statement in Support of Claim. I got this from a VA employee who is as helpful to vets as she can be. She had me submit it with my PTSD claim because years before I started dealing with my PTSD I had been in therapy with docs who combed through my childhood and pinned my problems on an overbearing mother, an undemonstrative father, and that my brother called me names. I'm not positive it will help you in your circumstances, but it certainly seems relevant.

Edited to add:

I tried to copy & paste the pertinent part of the reg, but it contained all kinds of formatting mess. It's part of Title 38... I'll see if I can find a link.

Sorry!

Edited by hedgey

Well, here's the part of the Title that applies, anyway...

TITLE 38--VETERANS' BENEFITS<br style=""> <br style="">

PART II--GENERAL BENEFITS<br style=""> <br style="">

CHAPTER 11--COMPENSATION FOR SERVICE-CONNECTED DISABILITY OR DEATH<br style=""> <br style="">

SUBCHAPTER II--WARTIME DISABILITY COMPENSATION<br style=""> <br style="">

Sec. 1111. Presumption of sound condition<br style=""> <br style="">

<br style=""> <br style="">

For the purposes of section 1110 of this title, every veteran shall<br style=""> <br style="">

be taken to have been in sound condition when examined, accepted, and<br style=""> <br style="">

enrolled for service, except as to defects, infirmities, or disorders<br style=""> <br style="">

noted at the time of the examination, acceptance, and enrollment, or<br style=""> <br style="">

where clear and unmistakable evidence demonstrates that the injury or<br style=""> <br style="">

disease existed before acceptance and enrollment and was not aggravated by such<br style=""> <br style="">

service.<br style="">

<br style="">