Ads Keep HadIt.com Online. Consider Turning Off Ad Blockers to Keep HadIt.com Online! ×

What Happens If You Move During Claim Process?

gwvet90

Question

Hi,

I have a new claim in with the VARO & also a NOD appeals in with them.

I am wanting to move to another state & wonder what happens to my claim? Does it move to the new state with me, or does it stay in the original state until it is decided/finished & then move to my new state?

Also - I am wanting to move into warmer climate - but don't have an exact place picked out -

I would appreciate any info &/or opinions on the different state's VARO (which ones have best service etc.) & the VA hospitals -& the best state benefits (tax exemptions/college for dependants/etc) - basically , from a veterans standpoint - what is the best state to live in?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

16 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Gwen

Florida has great weather in the winter. The summers usually start in May and last til late October.

We are talking very hot and very humid. The VA hospitals here are very busy and have been rocked by scandals. Patients dying and malpractice seems to happen all the time in my area which is the Tampa Bay region. The cost of living is not really high yet but it is going up pretty fast since the state is being paved over at an alarming rate. The north central part of the state seems the best to me. Stay away from the coast since it is expensive and hurricanes come and go. Orlando is getting a new VAMC soon I think and Gainesville already has one. I vote for some place close to Gainesville. I was in Arizona and I like the Prescott area and they have a VAMC. Housing is not cheap and it gets cold in the winter but it is always sunny.

Guest rickb54

I've moved three times in the last 2 1/2 years. I was in Hope Mills NC near Fort Bragg. The have a nice va hospital there, but a lot of users. If your retired military they have a new hospital on post (about 8 years old), almost anything can be done there. The homes are reasonable 150K up for a decent house. Tax exemptions, only if you received the adaped housing grant, 100% free license plate, 50% free fishing license. That is it for NC. Weather is fairly nice year round. 100% free fishing license on post.

Texas,near Fort Hood, VA Hospital in Temple, Fort Hood Hospital sucks, Temple VA sucks, weather hot! and dry. houses dirt cheep, 2100SF for around 85K. Tax exemptions vary based on % of disability most is $12K year. Free license plate, 100% disabled no tax on two vehicles.100% free fishing license, on post $15. for fishing license. 100% free drivers license.

August Georgia, 2nd largest city in state, near Fort Gordon, Ft Gordon has a medical center, nice and can get all services. VA Hospital Two in Town, one houses primary care, other special clinics so far service is good, (only been here six months). Weather, humid but nice, Houses over priced 1800SF =150K for new homes in richmond county 4 miles from base gate, Columbia county same house 200-250K. Area is nice lot of things to do, Taxe exemptions if 100%, 100% exemption (except trash bill paid trought tax bill) Free drivers license,100%- $3.00 fishing license, 100% free fishing on post. 100% one vehicle tax exemption.

Columbia SC, Capital city, small for a state capital. near Fort Jackson, Medical care on post space available, VA Hospital, old. hard to get appointments. 100% two vehicles tax free, 100% tax exemption on home, free drivers license, free license plates. Homes expensive, weather rains a lot, other wise nice. Free college to kids of 100% disabled veterans.

100%= means only those 100% get the benefit.

Oh when I moved I ask that my file be transfered, other wise the old regional office will work the claim. File will not be transfered at all unless you ask for it. At least this is what the va told me four different times.

Edited by rickb54

Thanks - that is great information. I am thinking about the GA, SC, AL or FL - maybe even MS.

So if you ask to have your claim transfered before a decesion is made - do you start at the bottom of the pile at the new claims office? Or do they decided it before they send it to the new state?

Thanks again~

• HadIt.com Elder

These are the Use search engines I'm currently using to match up my "best places" ;-) I'm still looking to move out of expensive Northern California! ~Wings

Facilities Locator & Directory http://www1.va.gov/directory/guide/map_flsh.asp?

Affordable Real Estate For Sale In Rural America http://www.unitedcountry.com/

Best Places to Live, Top 10, 20, 200 http://www.progressivefarmer.com/farmer/be...aces/top10.html

• HadIt.com Elder

Isn't there a calculator you can use to feed in all the costs of living in your are and compare them to other areas in the USA. A newspaper article today said that a person in Tampa had used the calculator to find out that living in certain parts of Arizona or New Mexico would save her 20,000 in cash a year. You really have to take everything into account. Some places are cheaper but you have nothing there for quality of life. If anyone knows of that calculator for cost of living they can post it. Florida with the home owners insurance crisis is just getting to be a pain in the ass. Plus the builders have just gone insane and are determined to develop the entire state. Is there a state that has some controls on development? Florida has none I know of and it going downhill as a place to retire I think. In my area the thing that is driving the cost of home owners insurance is not hurricanes but sinkholes. Now that is a racket that you would not believe. People who have sinkhole damage to their homes can be paid for the market value of their homes and continue to live there or even sell the place and not inform the new owners.

Guest DON20906

It's crap shoot. There's plenty of opportunity for things to get screwed up in these situtations. Once the RO gets your change of address, they should pack everything up and send it to the new VARO. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. The critical thing is to know where your claims folder is at any given time. To keep things from getting totally lost, I'd wait until the NODs are acknowledged, you get an SOC, a Form 9, a VCAA Response Notice Form with the 60-day waiver signed and returned and your appeal is certified to the BVA. Then send your change of address to the Board AND the current and new VAROs and request that your file be transfered to the new VARO once the appeals are decided. Do everything by registered mail. If your appeal is remanded, it will likely go to the Appeals Management Center, up Eye Street from the BVA in DC, however if it is remanded back to the RO it is likely to be the original one, not the new one. Ask the new VARO to establish a drop file on you and the old RO to send your existing drop file to the new one. If your c-file is sent to a new VARO with open issues and NODs hanging on it, it's liable to be ignored. ROs don't like to get messy c-files from other ROs.

Hi,

I am wanting to move to another state & wonder what happens to my claim? Does it move to the new state with me, or does it stay in the original state until it is decided/finished & then move to my new state?

Also - I am wanting to move into warmer climate - but don't have an exact place picked out -

I would appreciate any info &/or opinions on the different state's VARO (which ones have best service etc.) & the VA hospitals -& the best state benefits (tax exemptions/college for dependants/etc) - basically , from a veterans standpoint - what is the best state to live in?

Guest DON20906

BTW, you stand a MUCH better chance of keeping track of the process if you have one of the major VSOs (American Legion, DAV, VFW) represent you. At the ROs they will have access to COVERS and MAP-D, the two computer programs ROs use to track and develop claims. At the BVA the VSO will help you follow your appeal on VACOLs, the Board's computer system. By yourself, it will be much more difficult.

Hi,

• HadIt.com Elder

I may be nuts well the VA says I am but I wonder why people feel they have to buy a house when they move. I suggest a plan where you rent and take your time. When I move I will never own a house again.

I know in Dallas area you can rent a nice place between 600 to 1200 a month. Being disabled the City of Dallas will even help you with your rent.

BTW Rick you gave a great synoposis of Texas but a 100% Veteran is also entitled to a Disabilty Exemption that allows the same deduction as a Senior Citizen and the Veteran cutting my taxes by over 50%.

They are still pretty high though in my opinion but we don't have a State Income Tax either.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete

If you come to Florida as a 100% P&T vet you get a 100% tax exemption on your home. Also no state income tax, and it is not quite as hot as Texas. A friend was in Houston a few days ago and said it was so hot he just threw his golf clubs back in the car and went back to his brother's house. What was you highest cooling bill last summer?

Guest rickb54

Pete,

Your right, I got the disability exemption in addition to the va exemption as well.... but teh amount depends on the county as to how much it is. Bell county was not very generous.

Gwen

Florida has great weather in the winter. The summers usually start in May and last til late October.

We are talking very hot and very humid. The VA hospitals here are very busy and have been rocked by scandals. Patients dying and malpractice seems to happen all the time in my area which is the Tampa Bay region. The cost of living is not really high yet but it is going up pretty fast since the state is being paved over at an alarming rate. The north central part of the state seems the best to me. Stay away from the coast since it is expensive and hurricanes come and go. Orlando is getting a new VAMC soon I think and Gainesville already has one. I vote for some place close to Gainesville. I was in Arizona and I like the Prescott area and they have a VAMC. Housing is not cheap and it gets cold in the winter but it is always sunny.

I am in Sourth Georgia and I can vouch for the humidity. Uggh!! I like Florida, my husband use to have to go down to Avon Park to do range clearances for weeks at a time and we would go and visit him there.

The Gainsville VA Hospital, I don't know. My husband had to go down there twice for his C&P exams. They did the regular one and then he had to go down again because they didn't have an orthopedic doctor there to do the orthopedic exam. But the totally overlooked what he was medically retired for, which would have required a cardiac workup, which they never did. I spoke to one airman who was medically seperated and she had the same problems with the hospital at Gainsville, she didn't get her disability rating till she moved to Las Vegas several years later. All because Gainsville didn't want to do an MRI on her.

• HadIt.com Elder

EOD

thanks for the information about the Gainesville VAMC. I live in Tampa and that VAMC is a dangerous place as is Bay Pines. Where is the best place to live in S. Georgia? I used to visit Agusta GA. Is there a VAMC there. Florida is getting expensive and we have an insurance crisis. There are too many people here. The traffic is horrible around town. Housing is getting very expensive very quickly. How is Macon to live in?

EOD

thanks for the information about the Gainesville VAMC. I live in Tampa and that VAMC is a dangerous place as is Bay Pines. Where is the best place to live in S. Georgia? I used to visit Agusta GA. Is there a VAMC there. Florida is getting expensive and we have an insurance crisis. There are too many people here. The traffic is horrible around town. Housing is getting very expensive very quickly. How is Macon to live in?

My husband's first base was McDill, so he is familiar with the Tampa area. Of course I tease him about it because those where his partying days.

Best place in S. Georgia? I really couldn't say. My husband was retired from Moody and I hated this area for years!!!! But the county we live in the schools are good in my opinion. But it is mostly small towns here. Except Valdosta, it is trying real hard to reach metropolitan status.

I know Florida is expensive. My uncle recently moved to Kissimmee, he use to only snowbird it to his condo from MI to FL, but now he works down there. Gas prices where terrible in FL, they use to be. When I use to go down to Avon Park I would gas up on the Georgia border going down and coming back. My sister-in-law lives in Gulf Breeze and I was talking to her and gas there was about what we are paying...don't know what is going on with that.

I have been through Macon, but only have stopped there to eat on my way up to see my mother-in-law in North Georgia. It is a pretty big city, but not anything like Tampa or Orlando. I knew some nurses who use to go up there to work (they pay nurses bad down here), they would work three 12 hour shifts and get paid for 40 hours, it was worth it then to drive a little over two hours to go to work. But overall, I couldn't say anything good or bad about Macon.

Where you asking if there is a VAMC in Augusta or where I am at? Where I am at there isn't, but in Augusta there is Ft. Gordon where Eisenhower Army Hospital is at, which is the main hospital for the military here and I would assume they would have VA facilities in Augusta, but I don't know if they have a VAMC, I would have to look it up. But in S. Georgia, Gainsville is the closes I think, but I know that a lot of civilian patients get sent to Augusta and not Gainsville for specialized service, so it could be about just the same distance.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you live over 100 miles from a VAMC I think you can get fee base but I have not heard anything good about fee base from my buddy who lives in Montana. He says they give him some kind of allowance per month on medical expenses. Anyway, he won't go near the VA. Of course, some small town surgeon made a mess of his hernia surgery.