VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Happens If You Move During Claim Process?

Rate this question

gwvet90

Question

Hi,

I have a new claim in with the VARO & also a NOD appeals in with them.

I am wanting to move to another state & wonder what happens to my claim? Does it move to the new state with me, or does it stay in the original state until it is decided/finished & then move to my new state?

Also - I am wanting to move into warmer climate - but don't have an exact place picked out -

I would appreciate any info &/or opinions on the different state's VARO (which ones have best service etc.) & the VA hospitals -& the best state benefits (tax exemptions/college for dependants/etc) - basically , from a veterans standpoint - what is the best state to live in?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Gwen

Florida has great weather in the winter. The summers usually start in May and last til late October.

We are talking very hot and very humid. The VA hospitals here are very busy and have been rocked by scandals. Patients dying and malpractice seems to happen all the time in my area which is the Tampa Bay region. The cost of living is not really high yet but it is going up pretty fast since the state is being paved over at an alarming rate. The north central part of the state seems the best to me. Stay away from the coast since it is expensive and hurricanes come and go. Orlando is getting a new VAMC soon I think and Gainesville already has one. I vote for some place close to Gainesville. I was in Arizona and I like the Prescott area and they have a VAMC. Housing is not cheap and it gets cold in the winter but it is always sunny.

Guest rickb54

I've moved three times in the last 2 1/2 years. I was in Hope Mills NC near Fort Bragg. The have a nice va hospital there, but a lot of users. If your retired military they have a new hospital on post (about 8 years old), almost anything can be done there. The homes are reasonable 150K up for a decent house. Tax exemptions, only if you received the adaped housing grant, 100% free license plate, 50% free fishing license. That is it for NC. Weather is fairly nice year round. 100% free fishing license on post.

Texas,near Fort Hood, VA Hospital in Temple, Fort Hood Hospital sucks, Temple VA sucks, weather hot! and dry. houses dirt cheep, 2100SF for around 85K. Tax exemptions vary based on % of disability most is $12K year. Free license plate, 100% disabled no tax on two vehicles.100% free fishing license, on post $15. for fishing license. 100% free drivers license.

August Georgia, 2nd largest city in state, near Fort Gordon, Ft Gordon has a medical center, nice and can get all services. VA Hospital Two in Town, one houses primary care, other special clinics so far service is good, (only been here six months). Weather, humid but nice, Houses over priced 1800SF =150K for new homes in richmond county 4 miles from base gate, Columbia county same house 200-250K. Area is nice lot of things to do, Taxe exemptions if 100%, 100% exemption (except trash bill paid trought tax bill) Free drivers license,100%- $3.00 fishing license, 100% free fishing on post. 100% one vehicle tax exemption.

Columbia SC, Capital city, small for a state capital. near Fort Jackson, Medical care on post space available, VA Hospital, old. hard to get appointments. 100% two vehicles tax free, 100% tax exemption on home, free drivers license, free license plates. Homes expensive, weather rains a lot, other wise nice. Free college to kids of 100% disabled veterans.

100%= means only those 100% get the benefit.

Oh when I moved I ask that my file be transfered, other wise the old regional office will work the claim. File will not be transfered at all unless you ask for it. At least this is what the va told me four different times.

Edited by rickb54

Thanks - that is great information. I am thinking about the GA, SC, AL or FL - maybe even MS.

So if you ask to have your claim transfered before a decesion is made - do you start at the bottom of the pile at the new claims office? Or do they decided it before they send it to the new state?

Thanks again~

• HadIt.com Elder

These are the Use search engines I'm currently using to match up my "best places" ;-) I'm still looking to move out of expensive Northern California! ~Wings

Facilities Locator & Directory http://www1.va.gov/directory/guide/map_flsh.asp?

Affordable Real Estate For Sale In Rural America http://www.unitedcountry.com/

Best Places to Live, Top 10, 20, 200 http://www.progressivefarmer.com/farmer/be...aces/top10.html

• HadIt.com Elder

Isn't there a calculator you can use to feed in all the costs of living in your are and compare them to other areas in the USA. A newspaper article today said that a person in Tampa had used the calculator to find out that living in certain parts of Arizona or New Mexico would save her 20,000 in cash a year. You really have to take everything into account. Some places are cheaper but you have nothing there for quality of life. If anyone knows of that calculator for cost of living they can post it. Florida with the home owners insurance crisis is just getting to be a pain in the ass. Plus the builders have just gone insane and are determined to develop the entire state. Is there a state that has some controls on development? Florida has none I know of and it going downhill as a place to retire I think. In my area the thing that is driving the cost of home owners insurance is not hurricanes but sinkholes. Now that is a racket that you would not believe. People who have sinkhole damage to their homes can be paid for the market value of their homes and continue to live there or even sell the place and not inform the new owners.