VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Stealing Money From Veterans Through Private Health Insurance!

Rate this question

Troy Spurlock

Question

Moderators....not sure if this is the right forum for this discussion, but it does fall under the issue of disability compensation since it is directly related to it. So I made my best guess, but if I am wrong feel free to move it to the appropriate forum.

Anyhow, I, as the veteran, who is 100% service connected for a bladder disorder, chronic thoracic, cervical, and lumbar muscle strain, degenerative disc disease of the entire spine, fibromyalgia, IBS, and several other conditions just learned that the Department of Veterans Affairs has been billing my 3rd party private insurance company since July 2009 for examinations, blood tests, an MRI, and follow-up office visits for these service-connected conditions to a tune of over $5,000!!!!

On May 17, 2009 POTUS Obama proposed that he was considering having the VA charge 3rd party insurance for service related conditions; however due to the intense backlash, he nixed that idea on May 18, 2009.

http://www.cnsnews.c...px?RsrcID=45117 (May 17, 2009 article)

http://tpmdc.talking...health-care.php (May 18, 2009 article)

Despite the POTUS rescinding this plan, the VA is doing it anyway; and now I have just become a victim of it.

Has anyone else discovered that the VA has been charging their private health insurance for service-connected disabilities? I want to hear your story, as I am preparing an op-ed to submit to every newspaper and media outlet physically possible. I want to reignite the hail storm Obama got on May 17, 2009 for such an asinine proposal by proving it's happening nonetheless (probably under secret order of his Administration to do so regardless of his public announcement that he wouldn't do it)!

T.S.

Edited by Troy Spurlock

• Answers 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Despite Obama rescinding the proposal to charge veterans’ private insurance for service-connected injuries in May 2009, the VA is doing it anyway.

July 30, 2010

By: Troy Spurlock

Early May 2009, President Obama proposed that the federal government, via the Department of Veterans Affairs Health Administration, begin charging veterans private health insurance for service-connected injuries. In immediate response a hailstorm rained down upon the Obama Administration from veterans across the country, to include veteran groups and organizations; not to mention members of Congress like Senator Patty Murray, D-Washington, said that such a proposal would be “dead on arrival” if it were sent to Congress.

As a result of this hailstorm of immediate and intense criticism for such an asinine and unpatriotic proposal stabbing veterans in the back, Obama rescinded this proposal. So it seemed all was well and veterans health care would continue to be taken care of, cost free to the veteran, for service-connected injuries. Well, so we veterans thought.

As a 100% Permanent and Total service-connected Desert Shield/Storm veteran seeking treatment from the Department of Veterans Affairs Health Administration in Portland, Oregon for those service-connected ailments; I just learned that the VA has been charging my private health insurance company for visits dating back to July 2009 to present to a tune of $5,618.76. These charges are unsubstantiated and tantamount to insurance fraud on the part of the Department of Veterans Affairs, Portland Oregon Medical Center.

Despite the POTUS declaring this proposal to charge veterans’ private insurance company for service-connected injuries would not be pursued, it’s patently clear that it is done. If it has happened to me since July 2009, just months after this declared rescission, there is no question it has happened to other veterans.

I highly encourage every veteran who has been granted a service-connected disability rating for a condition for which the VA has been billing their private insurance company, to advise their insurance company immediately that the VA is not entitled to such claims and seek reimbursement of those paid funds. In addition to contacting their insurance company, they should contact the VA medical center they have been seeking treatment from for those service-connected disabilities and demand they reimburse their insurance company of funds that they were not entitled to.

Moreover, I would recommend that each veteran write a letter to the editor of his or her newspaper – and contact your local media outlets – announcing this unpatriotic insurance fraud on the part of the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Senators SLAM Obama's plan to charge wounded veterans private insurance for service-connected injuries

President Obama Rescinds Proposal to Charge Veterans Private Insurance for Service Connected Injuries

Despite the rescission of this proposal, it is happening, as it has happened to me; and I imagine to several other veterans unbeknownst to them.

Check with your insurance company immediately to see if the VA has been requesting payment for services that they are obligated to pay for due to service-connection; and if they have, fight it as outlined above.

Edited by Troy Spurlock

• HadIt.com Elder

This is not uncommon, I had this happen, I called the insurance company after I got the paper they had paid........Their answer was, it was a legit claim so they paid it, pizzed as you may be, this is between the insurance company and the VA unless you are out monies due to this.

• HadIt.com Elder

I suggest one go to the press and explaint his to them so the Insurance Companies will understand thay are paying millions of money they shouldnt be paying.

That will wake them up.

Join the club I have been complaining since 2005.

J

I suggest one go to the press and explaint his to them so the Insurance Companies will understand thay are paying millions of money they shouldnt be paying.

That will wake them up.

Join the club I have been complaining since 2005.

J

I've sent my initial brief op-ed to O'Rielly, Hannity CNN, Fox News, local channels and newspapers, and various other news sources. I will continue to do so until it gets attention, that's for sure. This is down right INSURANCE FRAUD, especially when the VA has been back dating claims, because they only just learned I had private insurance (within the last couple months), yet their claims go back to July of 2009. Each and every request for payment is for a service-connected disability; none of these claims they are entitled to, much reimbursement for monetarily wise.

T.S.

I've sent my initial brief op-ed to O'Rielly, Hannity CNN, Fox News, local channels and newspapers, and various other news sources. I will continue to do so until it gets attention, that's for sure. This is down right INSURANCE FRAUD, especially when the VA has been back dating claims, because they only just learned I had private insurance (within the last couple months), yet their claims go back to July of 2009. Each and every request for payment is for a service-connected disability; none of these claims they are entitled to, much reimbursement for monetarily wise.

T.S.

Good Luck Troy!!! This is the reason that when the VA asks for my secondary insurance I say NONE!

• HadIt.com Elder

If the VA claims and collects from my Insurance I no longer have a problem with it. Why not these damn insurance companies have gotten a free ride on me since 1991 and I am sure money recovered from private insurance should help other Veterans.

Just my opinion