VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Stealing Money From Veterans Through Private Health Insurance!

Rate this question

Troy Spurlock

Question

Moderators....not sure if this is the right forum for this discussion, but it does fall under the issue of disability compensation since it is directly related to it. So I made my best guess, but if I am wrong feel free to move it to the appropriate forum.

Anyhow, I, as the veteran, who is 100% service connected for a bladder disorder, chronic thoracic, cervical, and lumbar muscle strain, degenerative disc disease of the entire spine, fibromyalgia, IBS, and several other conditions just learned that the Department of Veterans Affairs has been billing my 3rd party private insurance company since July 2009 for examinations, blood tests, an MRI, and follow-up office visits for these service-connected conditions to a tune of over $5,000!!!!

On May 17, 2009 POTUS Obama proposed that he was considering having the VA charge 3rd party insurance for service related conditions; however due to the intense backlash, he nixed that idea on May 18, 2009.

http://www.cnsnews.c...px?RsrcID=45117 (May 17, 2009 article)

http://tpmdc.talking...health-care.php (May 18, 2009 article)

Despite the POTUS rescinding this plan, the VA is doing it anyway; and now I have just become a victim of it.

Has anyone else discovered that the VA has been charging their private health insurance for service-connected disabilities? I want to hear your story, as I am preparing an op-ed to submit to every newspaper and media outlet physically possible. I want to reignite the hail storm Obama got on May 17, 2009 for such an asinine proposal by proving it's happening nonetheless (probably under secret order of his Administration to do so regardless of his public announcement that he wouldn't do it)!

T.S.

Edited by Troy Spurlock

• Answers 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

What would we all do if there were no VA at all????

Answer:

For all of us that have no type of secondary insurance / health care provisions or

a boat load of cash - we most probably would receive indigent care at our local medical

and mental /psychiatric facilities.

OH - WAIT A MINUTE - I already receive that care - BECAUSE THERE ACTUALLY ARE THE VAMC'S.

I fully believe the VAMC's do not discriminate - they have the ability to maim or kill you just as easily

as a private facility can.

One of the reason's we do have VAMC's.

Abraham Lincoln - Second Inaugural Address - Saturday, March 4, 1865

"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in,

to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish

a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations."

Answer:

For all of us that have no type of secondary insurance / health care provisions or

a boat load of cash - we most probably would receive indigent care at our local medical

and mental /psychiatric facilities.

OH - WAIT A MINUTE - I already receive that care - BECAUSE THERE ACTUALLY ARE THE VAMC'S.

I fully believe the VAMC's do not discriminate - they have the ability to maim or kill you just as easily

as a private facility can.

One of the reason's we do have VAMC's.

Abraham Lincoln - Second Inaugural Address - Saturday, March 4, 1865

"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in,

to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish

a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations."

OK OK enough already!!!! LOL I get your point.

Brothers and Sisters, I truly want to apologize to anyone and all if I may have caused unwarranted, unwanted stress or additional frustration for any of my comments about my own local VMAC experiences. Sometimes I get a little bit over anxious with my thought process and it ends up being a one way opinion. I did not stop to think of all the great brothers and sisters here that may have experienced terrible experiences at the VA that, might have added on more to the already stressful and unnecessary aggravation that any of us certainly do not need. I am so sorry for that. I was really only trying to be helpful in sharing my own personal experiences with my own local VAMC and not thinking about all the problems most of our VETS experiences with health care, and other things we deal on a day to day basis with the VA. Again please except my sincere apologizes to all that I may have offended.

Edited by Chu Lai69

The VA knows they can bill the insurance companies for service connected care because the insurance companies have no way of knowing what is and what is not SC'ed. Even if they know it costs more to separate them out than to pay them. This is what BC/BS told me.

Private insurance should know better and demand more from the VA, especially given the fact that the patient is a veteran and it is NO secret that the VA is obligated to pay for SC conditions. May 17, 2009 it became a HUGE story when Obama wanted to start charging private insurance of veterans for war related injuries that were service-connected. Next day that desire to do just that was immediately rescinded given the obvious backlash.

Nevertheless, once a veteran finds out their private insurance has been billed for a SC condition, they should immediately inform their insurance carrier and have them seek reimbursement and deny future claims or demand proof that it's not a SC condition...just as I am doing.

T.S.

John9The VA would provide me with 100% free medical insurance which I do get and am very happy that I do.

I'm 100% P&T, and the VA should be providing for all my health needs 100%. Now unless things have changed and you haven't updated your profile info which says your SC at 70%, I don't see how the VA is giving you 100% free medical insurance. Please elaborate.

T.S.

I gave my private ins. info when I enrolled in the VA system, but to my knowledge they have never billed my private ins. Not sure why...

JMO,

Bergie

Lucky you.

I never had any insurance until recently (2008), and my effective date of 100% is 12/1/2003. I only recently informed the Va of my private insurance (why I don't know, just honest to a fault I guess) and low and behold - BAM! Nearly $6000 billed to my insurance for SC conditions.

T.S.