VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Stealing Money From Veterans Through Private Health Insurance!

Rate this question

Troy Spurlock

Question

Moderators....not sure if this is the right forum for this discussion, but it does fall under the issue of disability compensation since it is directly related to it. So I made my best guess, but if I am wrong feel free to move it to the appropriate forum.

Anyhow, I, as the veteran, who is 100% service connected for a bladder disorder, chronic thoracic, cervical, and lumbar muscle strain, degenerative disc disease of the entire spine, fibromyalgia, IBS, and several other conditions just learned that the Department of Veterans Affairs has been billing my 3rd party private insurance company since July 2009 for examinations, blood tests, an MRI, and follow-up office visits for these service-connected conditions to a tune of over $5,000!!!!

On May 17, 2009 POTUS Obama proposed that he was considering having the VA charge 3rd party insurance for service related conditions; however due to the intense backlash, he nixed that idea on May 18, 2009.

http://www.cnsnews.c...px?RsrcID=45117 (May 17, 2009 article)

http://tpmdc.talking...health-care.php (May 18, 2009 article)

Despite the POTUS rescinding this plan, the VA is doing it anyway; and now I have just become a victim of it.

Has anyone else discovered that the VA has been charging their private health insurance for service-connected disabilities? I want to hear your story, as I am preparing an op-ed to submit to every newspaper and media outlet physically possible. I want to reignite the hail storm Obama got on May 17, 2009 for such an asinine proposal by proving it's happening nonetheless (probably under secret order of his Administration to do so regardless of his public announcement that he wouldn't do it)!

T.S.

Edited by Troy Spurlock

• Answers 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

VA does not bill your health insurance carrier for VA-adjudicated service-connected disabilities.

(An adjudicated service-connected disability is one for which you have filed a claim and VA has determined that you are service-connected)

The VA DOES BILL your health insurance carrier for VA-adjudicated service-connected disabilities.

It just happened to me at a tune of nearly $6,000!

Moreover, they backdated a few of those claims...which is ILLEGAL!

T.S.

I am sorry, but I thought the heart and sole of Hadit was to help veterans with information on how to get the benefits they have coming to them. Again the VA has not mistreated me(as of yet), and they have not (left me out in the cold as of yet).

Which makes you the lucky exception to the rule.

T.S.

Brothers and Sisters, I truly want to apologize to anyone and all if I may have caused unwarranted, unwanted stress or additional frustration for any of my comments about my own local VMAC experiences. Sometimes I get a little bit over anxious with my thought process and it ends up being a one way opinion. I did not stop to think of all the great brothers and sisters here that may have experienced terrible experiences at the VA that, might have added on more to the already stressful and unnecessary aggravation that any of us certainly do not need. I am so sorry for that. I was really only trying to be helpful in sharing my own personal experiences with my own local VAMC and not thinking about all the problems most of our VETS experiences with health care, and other things we deal on a day to day basis with the VA. Again please except my sincere apologizes to all that I may have offended.

Chu, I suggest you review http://www.vawatchdog.org and see just how messed up the VBA and VHA are, and just how many veterans get stiffed for defending their country at the hands of the VA bureaucrats.

Respectfully,

T.S.

• HadIt.com Elder

What bothers me the most is when the VA bills my insurance I am sure the Insurance asks for and gets my private medical information and it goes into a national data base. There is no longer a shield for me from my Insurance and the VA which I used to have.

The VA DOES BILL your health insurance carrier for VA-adjudicated service-connected disabilities.

It just happened to me at a tune of nearly $6,000!

Moreover, they backdated a few of those claims...which is ILLEGAL!

T.S.

Troy,

Those were not my words.

If you had quoted my WHOLE post - then other's would have been able to click onto the link provided.

My post was a link and quote from the VA's web sites FAQ's Section.

Here it is again.

https://iris.va.gov/...hZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete

That is a good point and I bet that lack of a shield between VA health care information and private health care information will bite us all in the ass one day. This is really true for younger vets. The VA does illegally bill for SC conditions. I know because they have done it to me many times. I have complained to everyone who would listen at my VAMC and they just keep on billing. It may be the law that it is proper to bill vets insurance for NSC conditions, but I think that is morally wrong. Slavery was legal that didn't make it right. There is constant chatter about giving thanks and respect to our heros in the military and veterans (meaning after 9/11) but when it comes to the money they stick it to all of us. I know I beat up the VA a lot but it is because they have broken their promise to us. They are like the US government with the native Americans. They never made a promise they did not break. The VA steals from us by giving us substandard care and by delaying benefits. It is theft. They steal from taxpayers and they steal from vets. The hypocrisy of it all is what really aggravates me. I am going to go see my worthless congress person about the cost shifting at the VA. I will probably get the brush off there as well.