Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Yahoo Article On Distressed Soldiers

68mustang
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

The following article on the military keeping distressed soldiers in combat sites came out on Yahoo. If it is too political just delete. Having known many PTSD sufferers it is sad that this is being done.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_fea_afghan_combat_stress

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

7 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

The following article on the military keeping distressed soldiers in combat sites came out on Yahoo. If it is too political just delete. Having known many PTSD sufferers it is sad that this is being done.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_fea_afghan_combat_stress

Thanks for the post, '68mustang'. That was quite a read.

Note the interesting comments at the bottom of the article...

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the military is desparte for bodies. They don't have a draft to draw in more replacements. After almost ten years of a dirty couple of wars who wants to join up for the combat arms? I remember going through basic in 1969 and not one recruit was a volunter for the infantry or any combat arms. The draftees were the ones with the 11B MOS. How do they get normal 19 year olds to join the combat arms these days? If they join up they must know the next 3 years will be spent in Iraq or Afghanistan.

This is the true legacy of the war, and the true nature of the VA. I suspect part of the reason the VA fights so hard, and so dirty, against those that speak out against VA crime corruption and evil is because VA employees know that within time, they will be as loathed and hated as the average IRS employee.

It is a valid fear, as when most non-veterans hear about what the VA does on a daily basis, they are stunned. News articles like this are needed to turn the tide in our favor. With this sort of truth we can gain public attention, and with that we have some hope of change. The VA is the only group that is desperate to keep the lights out.

This is the true legacy of the war, and the true nature of the VA. I suspect part of the reason the VA fights so hard, and so dirty, against those that speak out against VA crime corruption and evil is because VA employees know that within time, they will be as loathed and hated as the average IRS employee.

It is a valid fear, as when most non-veterans hear about what the VA does on a daily basis, they are stunned. News articles like this are needed to turn the tide in our favor. With this sort of truth we can gain public attention, and with that we have some hope of change. The VA is the only group that is desperate to keep the lights out.

I thought this article was about the military keeping these soldiers in the combat zone. I didn't think it had anything to do with the VA. Did I miss something?

• HadIt.com Elder

I read that 25% of those in the combat zone are on some kind of medication like prozac or pain killers. I think one thing is that the military has given waivers to soldiers who should not even be in the military because they need bodies. This did not work during Vietnam and won't work now.

• HadIt.com Elder

John the sad part is that some of these people that needed the waivers to get in will face being tossed out 5-10 years down the road even if they don't get in any trouble while in the military once the need for them is over the Army which has granted the most waivers and has the majority of the people with "waivers" on it's rolls will find some way to weed them out when the wars are over and they don't "have" to have the bodies

use and abuse it has been going on for years and years and years I know there was a big fear about training the "gang bangers" in military tactics and having them take them home and put their new talents to use for their gangs and what ever crimes they will commit

I was reading an article a week or so ago about a Brigade commander in Texas that said he would have preferred to keep his troops in Iraq because it was safer for them there, than it would be to take them back to Texas, that now they would have DUI's, accidents and other ways the troops can find to harm themselves while in the states. They used the term "risky behavior" in off duty experiences. That is getting bad when a Commander would prefer to keep their troops in a combat zone than to take them home.

most of the people they are taking on waivers are pretty much in the "combat arms" field I am pretty sure to make sure they get the bodies they need.

Whats the difference between them and McNamara's 100,000? They need bodies so they relax the rules. They did it during Vietnam and they are doing it again, the major difference is back then they didn't have to enlist McNamara's rule allowed people that couldn't get in because of their "criminal records" or lack of education and were not normally considered to be military material during normal times I think it was hard to get people to enlist in combat arms let alone during a war period they have always been giving those MOS's larger enlistment and re-enlistment bonuses just to entice them into those MOS's

I don't think people on some of these meds belong in an area where they have access to weapons, grenades or any other type of explosives KP would be a better place for them just my opinion or in the states getting treatment not on a fire base

• HadIt.com Elder

I do remember spending the last few months of my time in the Army after getting back from Vietnam helping to in-process recruits at Ft Lenardwood. I had access to their records and many of these guys did not even finish the 5th grade and yet were considered smart enough to be soldiers. How can people that can't even read or write in 20th century America be good soldiers? I said it before, but I think half of my fellow recruits at Ft Benning were petty criminals and were there because some judge had given them the choice of the Army or jail. What the army did was just draft hordes of guys and sort them out in basic. I do remember my induction physical. I don't even think we had a blood test. They just looked us over like you would look over cattle heading for the slaughter house. That is the difference between a draft army and a volunteer army. Waivers....we don't need no stinking waivers. I sort of support the draft. We were all treated like dog crap. I think there should be a univeral draft for both sexes. Sons and daughters of billionaires and slum kids get to rub shoulders. They never will again once they are out of the service. The only classless society in America is basic training in the army.

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines