VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

P&t Question

Rate this question

JOHN1

Question

Received increase from 30% to 100 % PTSD about 60 days ago. Thank you Jesus. It has been a long road.

It is not "P&T" but has 2012 schedule for c&P exam. Do I just wait till then to try for P&T or file, if possible. now?

I was found incompetent but fiuciary decided I could hande my finances.

Also, is SSDI a permanent decision or are you reexamined in future?

I am 62 yrs ols.

God Bless to All

John

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

JOHN1 - it's up to you, on the P&T. You can request it now or wait. The VA policy states that if you are 55yo or older there should be no future exams, so you might want to request it now, especially if you have young or college age children or if your spouse would like to return to college. Also, if the ChampVA insurance would help now would be a good time to file for P&T. Be sure to pickup the life insurance and waiver, now, if you can.

SSDI generally re-examines the file at 2 or 3yrs (I think it's 3yrs) the first time and 7yrs after that, if ever again. I think due to your age they may waive that requirement. They may or may not send you a questionaire. I wouldn't worry about now. You should be free and clear on both. Try to enjoy your retirement and live a long and healthy life, w/the VA paying you as they well should!!! jmo

pr

Received increase from 30% to 100 % PTSD about 60 days ago. Thank you Jesus. It has been a long road.

It is not "P&T" but has 2012 schedule for c&P exam. Do I just wait till then to try for P&T or file, if possible. now?

I was found incompetent but fiuciary decided I could hande my finances.

Also, is SSDI a permanent decision or are you reexamined in future?

I am 62 yrs ols.

God Bless to All

John

• HadIt.com Elder

JOHN1 - it's up to you, on the P&T. You can request it now or wait. The VA policy states that if you are 55yo or older there should be no future exams, so you might want to request it now, especially if you have young or college age children or if your spouse would like to return to college. Also, if the ChampVA insurance would help now would be a good time to file for P&T. Be sure to pickup the life insurance and waiver, now, if you can.

SSDI generally re-examines the file at 2 or 3yrs (I think it's 3yrs) the first time and 7yrs after that, if ever again. I think due to your age they may waive that requirement. They may or may not send you a questionaire. I wouldn't worry about now. You should be free and clear on both. Try to enjoy your retirement and live a long and healthy life, w/the VA paying you as they well should!!! jmo

pr

I agree. Phillip, should he just download and fill out a VA form #21-4138 and simply request that his 100% PTSD be made P&T? Wouldn't that do the trick?

Thanks so much for your info and yes I am 62 and have here at home a 5 year old and an 8 yr and my wife. And yes these are "my" sons "not grandchildren."

If I do apply for the P&T now will Va give me another C&P Exam. It is scary as I don't want to loose what I have finally got. I only applied for PTSD about 3 yeas ago when I got the original 30%.

I was just too ashamed. I know I don't have to explain this. My life since Viet Nam (Special Forces "SOG) has been miserable because of the PTSD.

God Bless

John

Thanks so much for your info and yes I am 62 and have here at home a 5 year old and an 8 yr and my wife. And yes these are "my" sons "not grandchildren."

If I do apply for the P&T now will Va give me another C&P Exam. It is scary as I don't want to loose what I have finally got. I only applied for PTSD about 3 yeas ago when I got the original 30%.

I was just too ashamed. I know I don't have to explain this. My life since Viet Nam (Special Forces "SOG) has been miserable because of the PTSD.

God Bless

John

Congrats on your award John but I want to be honest with you on your question about another C&P. If you file for P&T status it could be required or it could not but if you feel secure on your rating then don't worry about it. If you don't then you may want to just wait until your review is coming up and see how that goes.

Being 62 years old and a review in a couple of years would put you and 64/65 so they may not call you in at all.

Why do you want P/T now? If it is that important to you then just file and see how it goes.

• HadIt.com Elder

LarryJ - sounds good to me, if VA form #21-4138 is the "Statement in Support of Claim" form. A simple request on that form usually suffices.

pr

I agree. Phillip, should he just download and fill out a VA form #21-4138 and simply request that his 100% PTSD be made P&T? Wouldn't that do the trick?

• HadIt.com Elder

JOHN1 - they could request another C&P, if your last C&P is over a year old. However they aren't supposed to submit you to another C&P if you're over 55yo. If the ChampVA insurance would be helpful to your family, you might consider requesting P&T. If not and waiting a few more years would make you more comfortable, go with that. If you're 100%, now, I doubt they'll take it away. It's your call.

pr

God Bless

John