VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused

Rate this question

Computer Tech

Question

I'm a little confused. I was at Korat Thailand in 1971, worked at the AutoDin computer center which was near the main gate of Camp Friendship. In 1972 I was given SC for Osgood=Schlatter's disease both knees rated at 0%. In Feb of 2007 filed for an increase due to increased pain, also failed claims for arthritis, bilateral feet, glaucoma associated with herbicide exposure, CAD with triple bypass, hypertension and DMII associated with herbicide exposure. In Oct of 2008 I got my letter from the Los Angeles RO increasing my left knee to 10% due to osteoarthritis, leaving my right knee at 0%, I was denied service connection on everything else, service connection for CAD, hyoertension,and arthritis bilateral feet not proven, DMII and glaucoma denied because I was in Thailand not Viet Nam and herbicides weren't used in Thailand. Early Oct 2009 I filed a NOD through the county VSO on both of my knees, the DMII, the glaucoma and the arthritis bilateral feet. I didn't NOD the CAD and the hypertension. With my NOD i sent a copy of the information I had received from Kurt Pressmen about the use of herbicides at Korat, pictures showing that where I worked was on the perimeter, a buddy letter stating that we were on the perimeter and describing the area around us as brown and barren, I also sent a letter from my podiatrist that my arthritis of the feet could be a result of the problems with my knees. I did not NOD the CAD or hypertension as I had no evidence of service connection. When I read that they were adding IHD to the list of diseases associated with herbicides I sent a letter through the county VSO requesting that they reopen my claim for heart disease as IHD.. Late Oct the VA acknowledged receiving my NOD and I got a letter stating that they were working on my claim for arthritis, bilateral feet, DMII and glaucoma. Then in Dec I received two letters from the VA, one stating that they were on my claim for IHD and the other stating that they were working on my claim for CAD and hypertension. Until recently I've been getting letters from the VA stating that they're working on my claim. Now where I'm confused is that today I received a letter from the San Diego RO stating they were working on my claim for CAD, hypertension and left ankle secondary to my left knee, I understand that San Diego is assisting Los Angeles so that doesn't bother me. Recently I discovered that the records for my open heart surgery wasn't sent to the VA and I'm in the process of getting them, I also plan to see my podiatrist to get an x-ray of my ankles and a letter from her and I plan to see the county VSO next week, he's closed tomorrow or I'd go see him tomorrow. What has me confused is why they're working on the CAD and hypertension claim when I asked for it to be considered IHD, I haven't heard anything since December on the IHD claim. What else should I do besides what I'm planning to do. Thanks for any advice

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

IHD is just another name for CAD and hypertension if you have had a triple bypass and have artery disease then it can and will be linked to AO exposure your problem is "proving" your exposure not all bases in Thailand are accepted as being presumptive for exposure to AO you basically have to prove YOU were exposed which it seems as if you have done a pretty good job of doing with the VA you have to prove it happened to you unless you have a "presumptive problem" like AO in Nam just boots on the ground is proof enough Korea and Thailand it's up to the vet to prove they were there and exposed to AO

I just don't understand why they're working the CAD claim and not the IHD claim when I asked that the claim to be considered IHD. Basically the letter was asking for evidence to prove service connection for the CAD, hypertension and left ankle. But I haven't heard anything on the IHD, DMII and glaucoma claims, Korat was one of the bases that herbicides was used on. In May the C&P board issued instructions to the ROs on Thailand that if the Vet's MOS was Security Police or dog handler or he showed that his duty assignment was on the perimeter he was to be granted herbicide exposure. I believe that I've presented enough evidence to show that I worked close enough to the perimeter to have been exposed. In talking with vets that worked at the AutoDin computer center I've found that many of them have health problems with diseases associated with AO. Diabetes and heart disease seem to be the most common but some of them do have or have had lung and prostrate caancer. I was 44 when I had my heart surgery and the surgeon told my wife that I was too young to have a completely blocked artery. My last treadmill was in 2005 and showed a MET of 7.2, I don't have any shortness of breath or chest pains, I know enough to know that if I do I should call 911, heart attacks are no fun and the open heart surgery is even less, I can say that I know what it feels like to be run over by a semi-truck,

Like I'm just confused as to why the VA is working the claim as both CAD and IHD. But at least they're working on it.

• HadIt.com Elder

All folks remember this:

As of right not there is no active presumptive or direction by the RO to consider any IHD claim. Therefore they will treat any IHD claim as a CAD claim under current regs that are in effect. Since there is no IHD presumptive until the reg gets published,

Look out for rapid fire denials on these CAD claims. Be prepared to do NOD's to get in quickly. After the regs get published things will be different.

We should not put the cart before the horse or back over the fence. There could be a snake to bite us on the Butt.

J

Edited by jbasser

• HadIt.com Elder

jbasser I think everyone knows that the VA has NOT finalized the rules for it yet and when they do there will be tens of thousands of claims made once it gets into the news media and reported but all the claims that were made prior to the new rule taking effect should get back pay to the date THEY actually filed the claim and it was "denied" all the vets that have claims in already are doing is locking in earlier effective dates

as we all know there will be a "few" vets that will think they should be paid back to the date they left the military or when they were in Nam or any place else AO was used we have all met or heard about veterans that seem to think they should get back pay for 40-50 years to the date they were "actually" harmed and as we all know the VA does not work that way they pay from the date the claim was filed or if the claim is filed within a year of discharge then they will go back to the date of discharge or retirement those veterans are the hardest to deal with they either refuse to comprehend the rules or are just plain hard headed and someone "told them" that they could get back pay and it just does not happen