VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Got Back From Appt With Va Psych....grrrrr

Rate this question

Gridsmasher11

Question

I just returned from an appointment with my VA psychiatrist....She just seems to want to keep increasing my meds but doesn't really want to help with my claim.....I asked her to specifically write me a nexus letter or to put into my treatment notes that my PTSD 'is more likely than not caused by my time in the Gulf"....She says that she has already stated that it is service connected and that she wants me to be service connected for this but will not write this as I have asked....Are they instructed to not write it plainly so we can support our claims????? She said it would be a conflict of interest.????I asked her how it would be a conflict of interest, wasn't she my treating Phsychiatrist (she said yes) but she just wants to him and haww........GRRRRRRRRR...VA causes us more stress and just wants to dope us up and hope we forget...............................................Did find out some things that may help my claim......The doctor that did my PTSD C&P back in March is only an MD.....According to VA regs it should have been a Psychiatrist or Phsycologist...So I have a point there....Still gathering the stuff to keep fighting my claim.............................GRID

• Answers 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Larry

I see the high lighted sections and this is bad news for vets. I think there will be a great increase in the number of "adjustment reaction" and "personality disorder" DX'es if PTSD finding is left up to the VA. This is a ticking and hidden time bomb.

Actually, all the VA pscyhiatrist or psychologist has to say is: "The veteran's claimed stressor is not adequate to support a diagnosis of PTSD." That's it. Case Closed. I see no recourse. No way of winning. No IMO or IME will do any good. Appeals, what appeals, when the VA has closed the door on anything EXCEPT their opinion?

Everyone was HOPING that this NEW and IMPROVED PTSD regs would solve a lot of useless, time-wasting, searches for the Stressor Story.............so, it did, I guess, but only to slip in another, HARDER hurdle to hop, one whereby the WORD is left up to the VA psych. They MUST diagnose you with PTSD. And, then, you look at Item #10 and it states that the VA adjudicator will decide if the veteran's claim is consistent with his/her service...............so, even though you have boots on the ground in Afghanistan, for example, and you served in Afghanistan as a field radio operator, for example, you will still wind up relying upon a VA Adjudicator to say whether or not you had service consistent with your claim (and half the folks at the VA making these type decisions would not have an inkliing what a "field radio" MOS has you actually doing. They would probably have an instant picture in their minds of someone sitting at a console, somewhere in the headquarters, tuning knobs and listening to the BBC, etc.

just sayin'......................

• HadIt.com Elder

I wonder where was the DAV, VFW and American Legion when this regulation was handed down. I wonder if they read it like we do? They are only thinking of OIF/OEF vets fresh from combat. This was a Trojan Horse. Is there some clarification on this you could get, Larry?

• HadIt.com Elder

I wonder where was the DAV, VFW and American Legion when this regulation was handed down. I wonder if they read it like we do? They are only thinking of OIF/OEF vets fresh from combat. This was a Trojan Horse. Is there some clarification on this you could get, Larry?

Well, this information was straight from the VA. Taken from the VA Fact Sheet published for this PTSD regulation. I'll do some more checking and see what I can come up with.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think it will be better there are many Vets who are diagnosed by VA with PTSD and not a chance in hell of proving stressor to satisfy the paper pushers at the VARO's

LarryJ Wrote and a VA psychiatrist or psychologist, or contract psychiatrist or psychologist confirms that the claimed stressor is adequate to support a diagnosis of PTSD.

My interpretation of this is that you can be diagnose with post truamatic stress disorder (ptsd) by any psychiatrist of clinical psychologist whether va of private imo,but only va psy, can corrobate ptsd with inservice stressor so if i was diagnose with ptsd and ongoing treatment by a private psychiatrist of clinical psychologist,i would get him to write me a statement out and when i went for C&P i would give the statement to the examiner.

• HadIt.com Elder

LarryJ Wrote and a VA psychiatrist or psychologist, or contract psychiatrist or psychologist confirms that the claimed stressor is adequate to support a diagnosis of PTSD.

My interpretation of this is that you can be diagnose with post truamatic stress disorder (ptsd) by any psychiatrist of clinical psychologist whether va of private imo,but only va psy, can corrobate ptsd with inservice stressor so if i was diagnose with ptsd and ongoing treatment by a private psychiatrist of clinical psychologist,i would get him to write me a statement out and when i went for C&P i would give the statement to the examiner.

And, all that examiner has to say is: No, your claimed stressor is not adequate to support a diagnosis of PTSD.

Whatcha gonna do then?