VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Got Back From Appt With Va Psych....grrrrr

Rate this question

Gridsmasher11

Question

I just returned from an appointment with my VA psychiatrist....She just seems to want to keep increasing my meds but doesn't really want to help with my claim.....I asked her to specifically write me a nexus letter or to put into my treatment notes that my PTSD 'is more likely than not caused by my time in the Gulf"....She says that she has already stated that it is service connected and that she wants me to be service connected for this but will not write this as I have asked....Are they instructed to not write it plainly so we can support our claims????? She said it would be a conflict of interest.????I asked her how it would be a conflict of interest, wasn't she my treating Phsychiatrist (she said yes) but she just wants to him and haww........GRRRRRRRRR...VA causes us more stress and just wants to dope us up and hope we forget...............................................Did find out some things that may help my claim......The doctor that did my PTSD C&P back in March is only an MD.....According to VA regs it should have been a Psychiatrist or Phsycologist...So I have a point there....Still gathering the stuff to keep fighting my claim.............................GRID

• Answers 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think it will be better there are many Vets who are diagnosed by VA with PTSD and not a chance in hell of proving stressor to satisfy the paper pushers at the VARO's

BUT, Pete, you're MISSING this little ZINGER:

Under item #10 on the VA Fact Sheet:

VA adjudicators, not the examining psychiatrist or psychologist, will decide whether the claimed stressor is consistent with the Veteran’s service.

SO YOU STILL HAVE TO SATISFY THE PAPER PUSHERS AT THE VARO'S!

STILL!

This NEW DEAL is just a NEW WAY of SCREWING YOU!

They slid this rotten fish in, right under our noses and told us it smelled like ROSES!

• HadIt.com Elder

What the "new and improved" and approved (all the way to the "top") rules/regs now state is that you must be diagnosed BY A VA PSYCHIATRIST OR BOARD-CERTIFIED PSYCHOLOGIST OR ONE OR THE OTHER THAT IS CONTRACTED BY THE VA as having PTSD.

THEN your claims must still go through the VARO and be APPROVED by the VA as you having met the requirements concerning whether your claim is in agreement with the TIME, PLACE, & ETC. according to your military records are concerned (were you really where you said you were and were you really where you could have been injured, etc, by hostile enemy action).

All they have done is take away your ability to come up with an IMO that will cancel out THEIR C&P examiner. There is NO mention in there about the "Benefit Of The Doubt" rule, no mention of what you are to do if the VA Psych does NOT diagnose PTSD.......what your appeal rights are. It just states flatly that you WILL have to be diagnosed by the VA as having PTSD!

Correct me if I'm wrong. This is ONE TIME that I WANT TO BE WRONG.

Under the new rule, VA would not require corroboration of a stressor related to fear of hostile military or terrorist activity if a VA doctor confirms that the stressful experience recalled by a Veteran adequately supports a diagnosis of PTSD and the Veteran's symptoms are related to the claimed stressor.

Examper: John Doe been diagnose with PTSD by a IMO or IME and the reason for his symptoms he served in IRAQ and during his tour of duty,he witness a lot of traumatic events, in and around Bagdad that cause his ptsd symptoms.Ok,when ever John Doe is schedule for a C&P, he take the statement that his IMO or IME write for him and give it to the C&P examiner (This include the ladys, not to leave them out,because they served too)and when interview by the examiner tell he/she how these trauma's effect you in everyday life and he/she write up there report and forward it to the regional office for a rating,before rating is done,the va will send out a inquirer to the US army research center of other departments that do researches to to confirm that John Doe served in Iraq or in and around Bagdad and when confirmed that he served in Iraq,it will be sent back to his regoinal office for a rating.

Before the new ruling if John Doe didn.t have a CIB,CAR,PURPLE HEART,of any other medal that proved that he was in combat,he would have had to a inservice stressor that cause his ptsd symptoms like a buddy he seen get killed of injured of there was a rocket attack on his base camp of some other traumatic event that happen to him,and this had to be the nexus and the reason for his ptsd, and this had to be confirmed two months before of two months after the inservice stressor ocurred.This have been the reason that it have been so hard for the Vietnam veteran to get service connected for ptsd who was not a infantryman of recevied a purle heart,but went through hell and trying to prove something that happen forty years ago,so the new ruling will help a lot of vietnam veteran and veterans that are suffering from ptsd.

• HadIt.com Elder

Under the new rule, VA would not require corroboration of a stressor related to fear of hostile military or terrorist activity if a VA doctor confirms that the stressful experience recalled by a Veteran adequately supports a diagnosis of PTSD and the Veteran's symptoms are related to the claimed stressor.

Examper: John Doe been diagnose with PTSD by a IMO or IME and the reason for his symptoms he served in IRAQ and during his tour of duty,he witness a lot of traumatic events, in and around Bagdad that cause his ptsd symptoms.Ok,when ever John Doe is schedule for a C&P, he take the statement that his IMO or IME write for him and give it to the C&P examiner (This include the ladys, not to leave them out,because they served too)and when interview by the examiner tell he/she how these trauma's effect you in everyday life and he/she write up there report and forward it to the regional office for a rating,before rating is done,the va will send out a inquirer to the US army research center of other departments that do researches to to confirm that John Doe served in Iraq or in and around Bagdad and when confirmed that he served in Iraq,it will be sent back to his regoinal office for a rating.

Before the new ruling if John Doe didn.t have a CIB,CAR,PURPLE HEART,of any other medal that proved that he was in combat,he would have had to a inservice stressor that cause his ptsd symptoms like a buddy he seen get killed of injured of there was a rocket attack on his base camp of some other traumatic event that happen to him,and this had to be the nexus and the reason for his ptsd, and this had to be confirmed two months before of two months after the inservice stressor ocurred.This have been the reason that it have been so hard for the Vietnam veteran to get service connected for ptsd who was not a infantryman of recevied a purle heart,but went through hell and trying to prove something that happen forty years ago,so the new ruling will help a lot of vietnam veteran and veterans that are suffering from ptsd.

But, you are STILL going to have to be diagnosed BY the VA Psychiatrist or Psychologist. If they do not think that you have PTSD, whatcha gonna do? You STILL have to have THAT diagnosis, by THEM. You can't just walk into your PTSD C&P and hand them a letter from an outside psychiatrist, saying you have PTSD, that concept has been done away with. And, you STILL must pass muster with the VA Regional Office for they are going to be the ones to "verify your presence" as to whether you were where you were and you were in danger to the point of it being possible that you could have PTSD.

So, just you saying that you have PTSD or that you have the stressors that should lead to PTSD...........still ain't gonna cut it.

• HadIt.com Elder

What about getting treatment and DX of PTSD from a Vet Center? Will that act as official stamp of approval for PTSD claim? I know that back in 2001 the local Vet Center was recruiting anyone for treatment.

LarryJ,show me where you got to be diagnose by a va psy for ptsd,because what you wrote on your post do not say you have to be diagnose with ptsd by a va psy.IT says VA psychiatrist or psychologist, or contract psychiatrist or psychologist confirms that the claimed stressor is adequate to support a diagnosis of PTSD.

ADEQUATE MEANS:Equal to or sufficient for a specific requirement

Edited by mobie16r