Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Laptop

john999
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

• HadIt.com Elder

I am in the market for a laptop. What are minimum requirements my system should have? I think I will get a Dell. I can customize it online. Any suggestions? I am not a geek, but I am thinking about putting music on my desktop and running via my laptop.

Edited by john999

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

Dell may very well go belly up in the not so distant future. They have be convicted of selling defective computers with the knowledge that the computers were defective. Their customer service used to be Dell's major selling point

You would do better to buy on line at: buy.com, TigerDirect.com, Frys.com.

Stay away from the Sony Vaio laptops. According to friends at Best Buy, Sony Vaio laptops are there #1 return/problem product. They are also the most expensive.

Asus, Toshiba, HP, Acer are all reasonable brand names.

The package deals at any of the places I've mentioned will have all the options that most people use and several that only power users or gamers use. With Labor Day around the corner, I would wait until LD sales kick in.

Toshiba sell the laptop with the largest screen. If your eyes are like mine that means a lot.

The various netbooks are also something to consider. Instead of using the tiny little 10.1 inch monitor, just hook up your own monitor, keyboard, and mouse and you have a very nice desktop computer. When you want to take it with you, just unplug those three components and its back to a netbook.

Windows 7 is the best operating system ever sold by Microsoft. Most computers now come with Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed. That should be more than sufficient for most users. Upgraded to Win7 Pro and Ultimate are available but are very pricey.

The best warranty for electronics is available at SquareTrade.com

Hope this helps!

Edited by GuaymasJim

Actually John, I bought an inspiron 1545 windows 7. It is as fast or faster than my desktop which is a Dell Rocket.

Wal Mart sells the dame computer and I have had no problems what-so-ever with it.

You may want to add a home network is you havent already done so.

J

• In Memoriam

I also bought the inspirion in 2003. It was kind of expensive but it is still running great every day.

Great buys can be gotten at CompUSA online...You can get an open box or refurbished for very cheap...I have a Dell that I bought for 400.00 last year, with CompUSA, that I use for monitoring programs...This isn't an advertisement...The openbox and refurbs are new without a scratch....

http://www.compusa.com/applications/category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=17&cm_sp=Header-_-CO_DD1-_-CatID_17

open box

http://www.compusa.com/applications/openbox/openbox_tlc.asp?name=Open-Box-Deals&srkey=open%20box

refurbished

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6052766&Sku=M975-170058

something to think about....

• HadIt.com Elder

I've got 2 Acers and I love them. They're about a yr old and I only paid about $300-$400 each. I'll never pay more than $400, again, for a laptop. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

I paid 650 for a Sony VAIO with Blu Ray Windows 7. I can hook it to my big screen using HDMI and watch blu rays so its subs as a DVD Player for TV also.

The sound sucks as a stand alone so I bought some cheap speakers and life is good.

I think that economic problems are going to make prices drop even more. For lab top I always buy the insurance. Have had 2 lab tops and have not used it yet but it makes me feel good.

• Community Admin/Founder

I'm all about the Mac. Wonderful computer Operating System, nice and stable. Excellent customer and technical support.

I have used PC Windows computers since about 1985 I think, a few years ago though, after yet another windows vista problem, I yanked it out of the wall opened my back door and hurtled it out the back door, then I went out and jumped up and down on it a bit. Then for several days I would open my back door and look at it and sometimes I would just go out and kick it. After I got all that out of me, I threw it in the dumpster and a few days later I walked into the apple store and I've become a real mac evangelist.

I've worked on Macs since the late 1980's I think they came out in 1984, I did consulting for extra money and some clients had a Mac's. I always like them, but all the jobs were mostly windows operating systems, so I stuck with that. But now, I am free, free I tell you, from the all my windows errors, blue screens of death and unexpected errors.

Like I said though, I've become a real Mac evangelist, I don't go near windows if I don't have to. Though I do have windows installed on my Mac, yes you can do that, and use it for very Windows specific software or other things that require an Windows operating system. So for me I've got the best of both worlds.

They are pricer though, and I always get the 3 year added protection. I do get a new computer about every 3 years, actually I am saving for a new 27" IMac right now, and I am really going to trick it out lots of memory and tons of Hard Disk space. Just thinking about it, get's me all excited and tingling, I'm such a geek :)

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Try Hewlett Packard. I've had mine for 5 years and it's a work horse. I would go with Windows 7. Windows Vista was a waste.

My daughter bought an Acer (like PR), very affordable, bought it at Staples.

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines