VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Obesity Secondary To Ptsd

Rate this question

clw4514

Question

well, i am obese secondary to PTSD. just wondered if anyone else has the glorious pleasure to have that, too. i've tried everything and i mean everything to lose the weight. it all seemed to work for a while and then nothing but gaining once again. no, i didnt stop the routine or programs, my body just seemed to revolt. now, im limited on my exercising due to a blown knee. i mean, i can still walk but hurts like hell! soooooo, what i am going the long way about is....if anyone has been in a similar situation, have u ever successfully got any help (preferrably non surgical) with your weight? all they say is "keep exercising!" i just want to scream out "really? did u miss that whole freaking section on MRI, orthopaedics, custom knee brace? how about the acl damage, medial & lateral meniscus tears? exactly how do u suggest exercising?" but ultimately, i know they r only saying what immediately pops into their mind and i know they r seriously overwhelmed. that would be why i come to my old faithful crew here :)

any success stories? insight? suggestions?

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

So you are saying that you are service connected for obesity? I thought that was uncompensatable via VA standards, even if it exhists. Maybe aquatic exercise would be enjoyable and easier on your body. I'm in the same boat man...I'm just curious about it being connected. I too am obese cuz of my PTSD...its emabarassing and I usually don't mention it. Anymore info you can share, I know I would appreciate. I am not familiar with your case, so please bear with me. Stay motivated...baby steps.

So you are saying that you are service connected for obesity? I thought that was uncompensatable via VA standards, even if it exhists. Maybe aquatic exercise would be enjoyable and easier on your body. I'm in the same boat man...I'm just curious about it being connected. I too am obese cuz of my PTSD...its emabarassing and I usually don't mention it. Anymore info you can share, I know I would appreciate. I am not familiar with your case, so please bear with me. Stay motivated...baby steps.

not sure if it is compensatable but it is secondary to my ptsd. i have ptsd due to mst. and apparently from the air show disaster @ ramstein but i havent added that to my claim and probably wont. and yes, ur right - it is embarrassing. when it comes up that i am a vet, the looks i get first bcuz i am a mom/housewife/etc then bcuz of my weight can be unbearable at times. it hurts my pride, i wont lie. it seems to me if it is at least a secondary condition then the VA would help some how. even if it was to simply change my meds (i know, not so simple at times) i would be happy. i dont eat a bunch of crap, i still follow weight watcher meals and such but i gain instead of lose.

i do swim a few times a week but i guess the way my knee is damaged makes it hurt sometimes. feels like its "catching" or the knee cap is popping out. but, im sticking it out. just thought someone else may have a little more insight. and if there is anything else i can answer for u about the obesity, plz pm me. im by no means an expert but can tell u how mine was handled.

thx!!

• HadIt.com Elder

How do you show nexus of your obesity as secondary to PTSD? Is there medical literature that explains how this happens? Have you actually filed such a claim? Obesity is not compensable as far as I know. PTSD vets drink and take drugs but those things are not compensable. Does the VA admit there is a link between obesity and PTSD?

How do you show nexus of your obesity as secondary to PTSD? Is there medical literature that explains how this happens? Have you actually filed such a claim? Obesity is not compensable as far as I know. PTSD vets drink and take drugs but those things are not compensable. Does the VA admit there is a link between obesity and PTSD?

i went to the nutritionist for over a year w/ no change in my weight except going up. it was well documented thru that. oh, and also, after my MST, i was anorexic & over time recovered and started gaining weight rapidly. that was documented in my smr's. as for showing a nexus, other than medical records, i didnt have to show or prove anything. and yes, i filed it. i said in my original post that it was secondary to ptsd. i didnt put it on the paperwork, the vso helping me put it on there and it was awarded. maybe it was luck of the draw, i dont know. all i know is that it is on my award letter and i am 70% compensation for ptsd. however u wanna chalk it up, its on there. as for the va admitting there is a link btwn the 2, it has never been discussed with me. civilian wise, yes it has been proven to be linked.

hold on...just crossed my mind. are you attacking me or inquiring? i feel kinda like im being attacked. i have no problem scanning my letter and showing you its on there.

EVERY doctor I've discussed this with tells me the less you move around

or exercise - the less food/ fats/ sugars and calories you should consume

or you will gain weight.

The meds that MAY lead to weight gain - themselves -

do not produce the side effects of weight gain,

the side effect of weight gain from meds is because the meds may relax you or help you sleep better - therefore you do not

move around as much - and as for steroid meds they surely have a side effect of increasing your

appetite. also some meds certainly effect our metabolism.

clw,

How about doing me a favor - could you call the VA 800 number

and ask them under what Diagnostic Code are you service connected

for obesity under as secondary to your SC'd PTSD.

I would appreciate that.

carlie