VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Obesity Secondary To Ptsd

Rate this question

clw4514

Question

well, i am obese secondary to PTSD. just wondered if anyone else has the glorious pleasure to have that, too. i've tried everything and i mean everything to lose the weight. it all seemed to work for a while and then nothing but gaining once again. no, i didnt stop the routine or programs, my body just seemed to revolt. now, im limited on my exercising due to a blown knee. i mean, i can still walk but hurts like hell! soooooo, what i am going the long way about is....if anyone has been in a similar situation, have u ever successfully got any help (preferrably non surgical) with your weight? all they say is "keep exercising!" i just want to scream out "really? did u miss that whole freaking section on MRI, orthopaedics, custom knee brace? how about the acl damage, medial & lateral meniscus tears? exactly how do u suggest exercising?" but ultimately, i know they r only saying what immediately pops into their mind and i know they r seriously overwhelmed. that would be why i come to my old faithful crew here :)

any success stories? insight? suggestions?

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

EVERY doctor I've discussed this with tells me the less you move around

or exercise - the less food/ fats/ sugars and calories you should consume

or you will gain weight.

The meds that MAY lead to weight gain - themselves -

do not produce the side effects of weight gain,

the side effect of weight gain from meds is because the meds may relax you or help you sleep better - therefore you do not

move around as much - and as for steroid meds they surely have a side effect of increasing your

appetite. also some meds certainly effect our metabolism.

clw,

How about doing me a favor - could you call the VA 800 number

and ask them under what Diagnostic Code are you service connected

for obesity under as secondary to your SC'd PTSD.

I would appreciate that.

carlie

dont mind at all but obviously will have to be next week. but again, i have to say that i feel as if i am being attacked. i was simply asking for insight and guidance. didnt mean to open a taboo can of worms.

clw,

No taboo can of worms but if we don't know what diagnostic code obesity, secondary to PTSD

was granted under - it would be a more difficult claim for anyone to submit, so you could help

make this possibility easier for others.

• HadIt.com Elder

The can of worms is your by claiming to have a rating for obesity. Obesity may be one of the side effects of your PTSD, but it is not a ratable disability. If it was every vet over age 60 would be rated for it some way or other. Every vet with a physical disability that restricts their activites would have a separate rating for obesity and they don't. In fact, the VA usually blames veteran's disabilites on being obese. You got a rating of 70% for MST/PTSD and not for obesity. The doctor may have thrown that in there but that is a symptom of PTSD like substance abuse. You don't get rated for substance abuse. When you say things that are not actually true in a legal sense it confuses people.

The can of worms is your by claiming to have a rating for obesity. Obesity may be one of the side effects of your PTSD, but it is not a ratable disability. If it was every vet over age 60 would be rated for it some way or other. Every vet with a physical disability that restricts their activites would have a separate rating for obesity and they don't. In fact, the VA usually blames veteran's disabilites on being obese. You got a rating of 70% for MST/PTSD and not for obesity. The doctor may have thrown that in there but that is a symptom of PTSD like substance abuse. You don't get rated for substance abuse. When you say things that are not actually true in a legal sense it confuses people.

u know john, i have come here for guidance and support for about a year. and now, u have certainly made me feel so unwelcomed, i cant even describe it. i am not a confrontational person so with that said....i know what my award letter says. and i understand what u are saying. but i will not sit here and be called a liar such as u are doing. so, without getting ugly or nasty, i say good bye to this website. i will not be back for anything no matter how down and out i get, no matter how much i need help with a damn thing. thx so much for turning on me like u did. what's one more kick in the ass when the military has already beat u down for so long. not only that, but u have no idea where i am in my life with this whole ptsd thing. u never know how close someone is to healing or jumping. 'preciate it...

• Founder

Well now, this thread turned into a heck of a mess. The member was just asking for help and idea's to help with her obesity, she stated the facts as she understood them for her service connection.

This post was not a question about whether it could be service connected or not, just was looking for some support on losing weight.

True that obesity is not in the rating schedule, however there is plenty written about the two being connected http://goo.gl/SEI6

Now clw4514 has quit the forum, John999 I understand the point you were trying to make, but I do think you were a bit rough on this member. Carlie was trying to get the member to post the diagnostic code so it would help other veterans in the same situation.

The member stated several times they felt attacked, that should never be the case. Maybe it is on the veterans award letter, maybe the member misread it, the point is the member wasn't making a point about service connected obesity secondary to PTSD, just asking for advice and support on exercising.

I'm sorry to lose this member.

I slowly got bigger and bigger when I finally went IU in 2004 at that time I was 248 lbs 6 foot and in the next 5 years I grew to 297 lbs...(border line diabetic I was more and more winded now I am sitting here typing this and I weigh 226 lbs... so how did it do it your asking... as I live in the Philippines I was able to get a very reasonable price on a Vertical banding they call it stomach staple they don’t move anything or reroute anything just make your tummy smaller so I get full very easy.... At the same time I had a stomach hernia a very very very large one and I got both operations at the same time... Best thing I ever did for myself... the va was suppose to do the hernia but they stalled and stalled and i finally said i am moving from oregon to the Philippines in 2004 ...Next question everyone wants to know how much??? cost my about 6,000 dollars for both operations if I was only getting the staple one it would of been 5,000 and that included the hospital and all doctors.. I am still not anywhere close to a buff stud but hey for a 59 year old I am not bad... all of my siblings have a weight problem so I think mine was not related to anything but eating too much and to often...