VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Means Test For 100% Sc'ed Vet?

Rate this question

hawkfire27

Question

My husband is a 100% SC'ed vet with PTSD, we just recieved an appointment about having a means test done, requesting specifally spouse and dependant information, including my (spouse) social, marriage cert. etc.

Any ideas why the VAMC requires this information, considering my husband disability check already includes me and that my info has already been given to the VBA.

I find this very strange.

Any ideas.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

It could have been made in error. VA comp has nothing to do w/means, unless he's being paid for TDIU. I'd call and check on it or send an iris inquiry. jmo

pr

My husband is a 100% SC'ed vet with PTSD, we just recieved an appointment about having a means test done, requesting specifally spouse and dependant information, including my (spouse) social, marriage cert. etc.

Any ideas why the VAMC requires this information, considering my husband disability check already includes me and that my info has already been given to the VBA.

Any ideas.

• HadIt.com Elder

Any ideas.

Well, you know that we pay more if the vet is married and for each child, right? It may be that they feel like they don't have the correct information (number and ages of children, etc), since all that stuff matters. It should NOT have ANYTHING to do with your income, however. We call it a "dependency" issue, and it's not for rating board jurisdiction, it's handled by our accounting wonks. I wouldn't fret too much.

• HadIt.com Elder

This could be a case where someone is pretending to be with the V.A. on the telephone so that you will provide personal information such as income, social security number, etc. so that the individual calling you can engage in identity theft.

I don't think it would be an identity theft if the made an appointment for you to come in but who knows these days.

I do like you though find this quite odd. Please let us know if you can what goes on?

VA does not means test disabled vets. 100 percenters can even work as long as the 100 percent rating is not based on TDIU or 100 percent for mental issues. Seams as though they are attempting to insure that you are getting paid properly based upon your dependents. Just my opinion but I would give them a call and ask what the heck is going on.