VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Alert! Pushing For Consults, Get It Yourself!

Rate this topic

"e" is an insulin dependent diabetic. He has had an ingrown toenail for about a year now. We kept showing his PCP and nothing was said about an appointment with a foot Dr. I have been keeping a really close eye on it and it had gotten to the point that the ingrown part couldn't be lifted up away from the toe, it was that deep. A veteran friend kept telling e to get an appointment with a foot Dr., but e being the hard-headed vet he is, said no he would just wait until his PCP did that for him. It finally got to the point e thought he could feel pressure, but with his peripheral neuropathy he couldn't tell and I sure couldn't!! Well his baby daughter told her daddy in no uncertain terms to get himself to the acute care at the VA and when the Dr. saw his toe she exclaimed this needs to be taken care of now! Duh!! She asked who his PCP was! Within 3 days we received an appointment. Hey guys and gals what I'm trying to get across is this, push for those appointments!!! If you think you need to be seen and your PCP will not refer you go to someone who will, even if it's at the acute care units of your VA Hospital. That's what they are there for. "e's" PCP doesn't have a clue about the needs of an AO Veteran or any other Veteran for that matter. He's always telling e to push thru it. Yeah push thru it, get an infected toe and wind up losing it. Whatever!! Oh by the way we had tried several times to get the head nurse to refer him, she just asked does it have puss coming out of it. Good grief! Pissed off big time. I'm tired of this crap I guess I'm just going to have to be an ass from now on. I CAN do that.

Carolyn

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I have DMII and I had a minor procedure done on my feet in February. I got a staff infection. I still have pain in my foot even after surgery and three weeks of daily IV infusions. If E has any complications from getting toenail removed run don't walk to a real doctor and get that foot taken care of pronto. I had to go back to the doctors at least 5 times before I was diagnosed with the staff infection. If I had waited another week I might have lost my foot. As it was I had to have a plastic surgeon cut my foot open to the bone and have an open and draining foot wound for aboat a month. I would go daily to a wound care center and see other patients with DMII and foot and leg wounds that were not healing. The place was packed with people with wounds that would not heal. Then because the wound won't heal they get a antibiotic resistent staff infection and the nightmare begins.

I have DMII and I had a minor procedure done on my feet in February. I got a staff infection. I still have pain in my foot even after surgery and three weeks of daily IV infusions. If E has any complications from getting toenail removed run don't walk to a real doctor and get that foot taken care of pronto. I had to go back to the doctors at least 5 times before I was diagnosed with the staff infection. If I had waited another week I might have lost my foot. As it was I had to have a plastic surgeon cut my foot open to the bone and have an open and draining foot wound for aboat a month. I would go daily to a wound care center and see other patients with DMII and foot and leg wounds that were not healing. The place was packed with people with wounds that would not heal. Then because the wound won't heal they get a antibiotic resistent staff infection and the nightmare begins.

I'm thinking they might have to remove the nail because it sure looks dead to me! You're flipping me out I remember now about your foot and the staph infection. Was yours a infected nail or just a dead one? My concern for e is his inability to feel anything. Hope the best for you. E has only VA Drs. to rely on. Can he be treated elsewhere or only at the VA? How did they not suspect Staph? What should I look for. You know it helps others when everyone tells of their own experiences. Thanks

Carolyn

• HadIt.com Elder

Take E to the Cooper Drive Er and tell th em it is really bothering him. The will react and fix it there. What team is E on. Red, Blue, Green?

If not red, I would ask for a change of PCP red to Dr. Shank.

JMHO

John

E is having thoughts of changing back to Lex PCP's but we did not know what team Dr. Shank was on. At this time he is on the zero team, zero interest I mean. His PCP in Somerset just isn't working out. Even though it will be a longer drive for us I personally think this is what he should do. Dr. H. is the one at the emergency room who got the appointment for him. Thanks for the information. Your JHMO is appreciated!

Carolyn

• HadIt.com Elder

E's PCP is a quack. Unfortunately the VA is full of them. Hadit used to have a list of good and bad VSO's maybe we should have one for PCP's?

My PCP in Dallas is Dr. George who has managed me for 4 years and is really good. She is on Hotel Team in Clinic 11.