VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi Attorney Wants Me To Pay Expenses

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I got denied for SSDI, and rather than deal with it anymore I called a few lawyers. I just got the paperwork from one of them, and in the contract I have to agree to pay for all expenses:

"In addition to attorney fees, I agree to pay my attorneys for reasonable expenses that they pay in my case. These may include long-distance telephone calls, medical records, photocopying and the like. I will get a bill for these expenses and I will pay these expenses when invoiced, billed or notified of a charge. I agree to pay expenses whether my case is won or lost."

I've never used a lawyer on a contingency basis before. Aren't these expenses part of the attorney's cost of doing business? And who pays long distance telephone charges anymore?

Plus, they sent me a stack of papers to fill out. I kind of thought that was why I was using an attorney, so I wouldn't have to do all this anymore. I already went through a lengthy phone interview with them....

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Find another lawyer! Most lawyers take their cut out of your retro. There are plenty out there so dumb this guy.

Thanks, John. I just called Allsup, and they won't take me because it's been so long since I worked. They flat out told me I don't qualify for SSDI.

So now I'm wondering if this attorney is just looking to milk me for a while, then even if they lose my case they'll have been getting money all along from me.

:unsure:

• HadIt.com Elder

When applying for SSD you have to be sure and use the date you last worked and not the filing date. Many make this mistake get denied and lose out on earned benefits.

As far as the lawyer asking you to pay expenses he probably thinks that they have a long shot.

You can negotiate by setting a limit.

I would call the lawyer and ask what is the typical amount and if reasonable say that you will pay up to X amount but no more.

Good Luck

Sorry for the denial Hedgey, but 2/3 of us are denied on the first go-round.

Definitely skip that lawyer; there are others who won't ask for money regardless.

We need to know reason for denial to help more.

You can call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 to see if you're eligible for benefits by your pay history.

Chin up! :smile:

Carlie, the disapproval letter says that I failed to show that I was disabled before 2003, which would have been 5 years since I last worked.

Pete, I did use my last date that I worked. The lawyer told me that the SSA probably disapproved me automatically because I was outside the 'normal' limits for filing.

I'll call the attorney and ask about what the expenses usually come to, etc. See how she responds.<br><br>Edited to add:<br><br>Kelly, sorry I missed your post.&nbsp; I guess the basic problem is that I stopped working 12 years ago, and should have filed before the end of 2003.&nbsp; I did see a doctor for my mental health problems during the 5-year period, that's why the lawyer agreed to take my case.<br><br>I hate trying to figure out if I can trust someone... it's agony for me. :(<br>

Edited by hedgey