VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ibs - Think I Have It...

Rate this topic

So yesterday as I was talking to my kid I suddenly needed to stop talking and get to the loo. As I'm leaving the room I mention that I have tummy trouble. She hollers "what's new?" to my retreating back.

When I returned I asked her what she meant. She tells me that I've had "tummy trouble" every day for the past year at least. If it's IBS, it's the sort that involves running to the loo several times a day. I do mean running.

Okay, so you'd think I'd be aware of that, or at least notice that things aren't normal. I'm trying to backtrack in my brain to when it started, and I'm thinking almost two years ago, maybe more. I seem to remember that it began when I started taking meds for my RSD, but it may have been before that. I mean, I know it isn't normal, but I guess I've gotten used to it. How weird is that?

So I'm left with several issues. First is what, if anything, can be done about it. Second, what the hell is my problem that I would just put up with this kind of pain and inconvenience for so long without mentioning it to my doctor? Okay, it's extremely embarrassing, and I didn't go to doctors for ages before getting into the VA system. I kept thinking it would get better, you know? I guess not going out of the house much meant that it wasn't really that much of an issue, like it would be if I was going to a job every day.

I looked online, and it seems that it could be my medication, or it could be my PTSD. If it's the meds, I can change them. If it's the PTSD... I guess I'm stuck with it?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to see a doctor, yes I know you already know that but that is the best answer. The doctor can review your records and tell you what is going on and treat you. Sometimes a doctor has to review your records and treat you before they make a diagnosis of IBS and sometimes they can just review your treatment history.

So yesterday as I was talking to my kid I suddenly needed to stop talking and get to the loo. As I'm leaving the room I mention that I have tummy trouble. She hollers "what's new?" to my retreating back.

When I returned I asked her what she meant. She tells me that I've had "tummy trouble" every day for the past year at least. If it's IBS, it's the sort that involves running to the loo several times a day. I do mean running.

Okay, so you'd think I'd be aware of that, or at least notice that things aren't normal. I'm trying to backtrack in my brain to when it started, and I'm thinking almost two years ago, maybe more. I seem to remember that it began when I started taking meds for my RSD, but it may have been before that. I mean, I know it isn't normal, but I guess I've gotten used to it. How weird is that?

So I'm left with several issues. First is what, if anything, can be done about it. Second, what the hell is my problem that I would just put up with this kind of pain and inconvenience for so long without mentioning it to my doctor? Okay, it's extremely embarrassing, and I didn't go to doctors for ages before getting into the VA system. I kept thinking it would get better, you know? I guess not going out of the house much meant that it wasn't really that much of an issue, like it would be if I was going to a job every day.

I looked online, and it seems that it could be my medication, or it could be my PTSD. If it's the meds, I can change them. If it's the PTSD... I guess I'm stuck with it?

You ashould also discuss with your psychiatrist what is going on. It might be possible to connect IBS to PTSD with the right verbage from the psych. doc.

JMO,

Bergie

Thanks, pete & Bergie.

I talked to my psychiatrist this morning about it. She told me that digestive trouble was just one of many physical problems that PTSD can cause, and that I need to see my PCP about it (see my other thread about that!!). She also said that it's really common for PTSD patients who have IBS to delay talking to a doctor about because of trust and embarrassment issues. She's also had cases where PTSD patients with IBS that manifests in needing to stay near a bathroom delay or refuse treatment because the IBS symptoms gave them an excuse to stay home and avoid people.

I'm not sure about that last one. I still go out when I have to, and I don't like to use public restrooms, so I just arrange my eating around times I know I'll have to be out. I find it hard to imagine that I might be choosing to suffer this pain just to stay home.... Dear God, could I really be that crazy?

:unsure:

There are many people, and whole communities with people with intestinal diseases...

a long time ago there was no Internet and people were really confused, and doctors were clueless.. now you have alots of support,, get your doctor appointments, get tests, and find out what type you have, and what can be done...

I have suffered for many ages with Intestinal disease...

so I am speaking from experience..

• 3 weeks later...

do you have pain, weakness, fevers, malaise? The big 'D' (Diarhea), if you have it or get it often...what types of foods and drink set the problems off?

How do try to stop it?

those are queations you need to find answers to and report them to your doctor..

Do you have family members with these issues?

there are many questions..

until you answer these, there is no way to figure this out..

some people never find the reason, others usually find a reason, but it may take days months, or many, many years..