VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tax Refund And Va Pension

widoweddisabledvet

I began receiving va pension in mid 2008. A few months ago I got a notice I had not filed for 2007. My husband had just died. So I filed and I just received a refund. Will this affect my va pension for 2010? I would never have filed, didn't know, just did what I was told. Should I report it or just send the check to the VA or may I count it as income for 2007, the year I was NOT on VA benefits? thanks for your help

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Please clarify something first.

Are you receiving VA Compensation, or a VA pension......I noticed both?

Dealing with IRS rules is confusing for even those that are trained in it......sorta like some VA raters who cant seem to grasp the Vets medical info for reasons unknown.

I would not begin to tell you which year this refund qualify's........if it was not a big chunk , I would not worry about it, but since a Pension is a income based benefit, you need to talk this over with either the VA or a good Vet Rep org, but you will need clarification from the IRS on the year reporting rule.

• 3 weeks later...
  • HadIt.com Elder

An interesting Question, to say the least!

I believe that a factor in your favor would be if the return was not itemized.

Unfortunately, the VA has it's own set of rules, and without some research, how they might be applied is a big question mark.

If the refund was a large one, I can see a potential problem.

I began receiving va pension in mid 2008. A few months ago I got a notice I had not filed for 2007. My husband had just died. So I filed and I just received a refund. Will this affect my va pension for 2010? I would never have filed, didn't know, just did what I was told. Should I report it or just send the check to the VA or may I count it as income for 2007, the year I was NOT on VA benefits? thanks for your help

The IRS wants each years income reported in the year that it is received. You do not want to send them 2007 or 08 income, pension, bank interest whatever and tell them you want to apply it to 2010. Each year is a separate time time period. In 2007, the when your husband passed away, did you work? other income? In 2007, you were not receiving a pension, so it does not impact any future years. When, you do you taxes, you can still claim Married Filing Joint. If, you have a refund or own money (heavens forbid), it will be a 2007 issue only.

papa

• 2 weeks later...

A VA disability is tax exempt and does not have to be included when filing taxes. VA pension believe and VA disability are the same just different what people call them. Unless of course he worked for the VA and this was a pension after his retirement. Condolences on your loss