VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dea Clarification

Rate this question

renee

Question

Hello hoping someone can help me clarify the qualifications to obtain DEA for my son. I have read the website more times than I can remember and the bullet points are misleading. The second bullet point indicates "•A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence." How exactly do I interpert this particular bullet point? Does this mean that he must meet one or all of the requirements outlined? His dad was killed two years ago in a motorcycle accident. At the time he was service connected as well but I don't believe it was for 100%. Who can help me?? Please and thank you!

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Renee, In terms of your son's eligibility for DEA, I think you should call 1-888-GIBILL1. which is the educational office of V.A to discuss whether your son is eligible for DEA. You could also search on the internet under Dependents Educational Assistance and elibility or search under Chapter 35 and eligility. I concur that your ex husband's rating percentage may have increased. Veterans who are rated 70% or higher usually are considered unemployable and are receiving benefits at the 100% rate if Total Disability Individual unemployability was applied for. Most veterans would not tell an ex wife if their benefits were increased. Your eligibility for benefits ended upon divorce under 38 CFR 3.500 or 38 CFR 3.501, I think. I'm sorry that I can't remember the exact regulation number.