Ads Keep HadIt.com Online. Consider Turning Off Ad Blockers to Keep HadIt.com Online! ×

Filling Out Tdiu Form, Have A Few ?s

Nathan104

Question

I am filling out the TDIU forms and have a few questions on a few areas.

First, my relevant info. I was med boarded out of the army in Nov 2005 for my knee. I was given a lump sum disability severance of a little over $40K. My main problem now is my back. Problems with it began in service. It got very bad in Feb this year. Had Lumbar diskectomy surgery in April(now wish I hadn't done it). Its worse now than before. My first claim on everything including the back is currently at the rating board. I had the C&P for my back in early Jan before it got really bad but I have sent every bit of med records and documentation in including written letters by me and my wife. I have not worked since I got out.

Anyways, on to my questions.

Section II block 14. Date you became too disabled to work?

I was put out of the army on disability for my knee. Though technically, my back didnt get severe enough to not BE ABLE to work in February. So should I put the date I was discharged or when my back got bad?

Section II block 15A. What is the most you have ever earned in one year?

Well, last year my total was almost $90K but half of that was the disability severance. Do I put the total or just what my regular pay was?

Section III schooling

Im really confused by this one. I dropped out of HS in the middle of my Junior year and got my GED. I have just completed my very first semester of college(had to do the second half of the semester from home due to disability) So for (highest year completed) would I have to circle High school sophmore year or is one semester of college enough to consider it completing one year of college? Or since I got my GED is it considered completing 4 years of High school? I know, I probably just confused everyone reading this. Its hard to think straight sometimes on these pain meds.

Also in the schooling section, it asks if you have had any other education or training before or after you were too disabled to work. Should I put military training in there?

Lastly, is there a site somewhere with detailed info regarding the TDIU form? Thanks alot for any help it is greatly appreciated.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Thanks for the links. Ive done alot of research on TDIU and am pretty familiar with the eligibility requirements and everything. I didnt find anything while looking around on either of those links that helps with the questions I have on filling out the form though. Can anyone give me a little advice on the questions I had? Thanks in advance.

"So should I put the date I was discharged or when my back got bad?"

I would put last day you actually worked- (February?but you didnt work then did you? ) if you did not work at all- put date of discharge here-

"Well, last year my total was almost $90K but half of that was the disability severance. Do I put the total or just what my regular pay was?"

I would put just the regular pay amount- not the severance pay.

" is one semester of college enough to consider it completing one year of college? Or since I got my GED is it considered completing 4 years" I would circle this as one semester-

Then under Remarks I would refer them to additional page (s)

On this page tell them a little more as to what you put here-especially as to the disability severance pay and date of discharge.

Tell them of the side affects your meds have.

Tell them what you take and why- (pain meds for knee?) and how these meds affect your inability to be employed.

Also tell them of any college problems- such as :

"I have just completed my very first semester of college(had to do the second half of the semester from home due to disability"

Do you have an accomodation request? or anything from the college to show that your disability prevented you from being in class?

Your back condition- any evidence of this in service?

(Do you have your SMRS?)

Could this be due to the knee problem ? Possible-

I would add this to your claim- and see if you can get an independent medical opinion that shows that back condition is secondary to the knee condition.

On the meds- I would use a good medical site- to print out the side affects of these meds, unless the VA has given you a good print out of the side affects.I would attach a copy of this to the TDIU form and make sure your name, c file number etc is on the attached statement and send it certified or Priority with a tracking slip.

You will be looking for side affects such as -do not take and drive, do not operate heavy equipment, causes confusion, causes drowsiness, etc- stuff that would affect your ability to work.