VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdrl - Can I Terminate Sbp Plan ?

oldschoolz

I was forced into SBP plan almost 5 years ago when I was placed on the TDRL list I am being evaluated at the end of my TDRL DFAS sent me a bill for SBP plan. Because I am going to be retired formally from the Army does this mean I can submit my request for termination to DFAS >?

Thanks

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but I suggest you read this information with the form you need-carefully.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd2656-2.pdf

As you can see, your spouse must sign and agree to the termination.

I know your circumstances are not like this case-but I have friend and he and wife agreed not to get into the SBP plan at all.If he does die from a SC disability (so far he has no SC at all),she will be able to get DIC.

Although there is a DIC SBP offset, still for a spouse of deceased veteran if eligible for SBP- the spouse could attain some money coming in after the veteran's death much faster under SBP than DIC which might be denied anyhow by the VA and the spouse might have to fight thre VA for years on that.

• 6 months later...

What I did was purchase Term Life INS. It is less expensive and for the amount that I give SBP I covered both my wife and myself and still had money left over. Yes you can cancel call SBP to cancel they will send you a form to fill out, Good luck!

I was forced into SBP plan almost 5 years ago when I was placed on the TDRL list I am being evaluated at the end of my TDRL DFAS sent me a bill for SBP plan. Because I am going to be retired formally from the Army does this mean I can submit my request for termination to DFAS >?

Thanks