VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Cant Claim Depression So How To Claim?

Rate this question

rgero311975

Question

I need help on filing for the pain i suffer from service connected spine,migrain,sciaticia,degerative ankle disease and achilles tendinitis.. I can not claim depression becasue of these as i have tried 3 times ,but i was stabbed when i got out of the military and they related all my depression... I have tried to file depression secondary to all my service connected issues but it not going to work!!!!!!!!!!!! May be PAIN SYNDROME or some other diagnoses that doesnt relate to depresison but i can get services connected for.. I have depression for my service connected issue but they relate it to the stabbing!!!!!!!!!!! codes 9435 Mood disorder,9422 Pain disorder for all my service connected issues? would this be far away from deprression?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I need help on filing for the pain i suffer from service connected spine,migrain,sciaticia,degerative ankle disease and achilles tendinitis.. I can not claim depression becasue of these as i have tried 3 times ,but i was stabbed when i got out of the military and they related all my depression... I have tried to file depression secondary to all my service connected issues but it not going to work!!!!!!!!!!!! May be PAIN SYNDROME or some other diagnoses that doesnt relate to depresison but i can get services connected for.. I have depression for my service connected issue but they relate it to the stabbing!!!!!!!!!!! codes 9435 Mood disorder,9422 Pain disorder for all my service connected issues? would this be far away from deprression?

Do you actually have a doctor's diagnosis for "depression"?

Is the VA taking care of your healthcare needs?

If so, are you seeing a VA psychiatrist or psychologist?

WHO are you seeing? Who decided that the depression was related to your being stabbed?

You filed three times for depression related to your service-connected issues. What was the outcome of all three of these claims? What did the Statement Of the Case (SOC) have to say about each one?

Do you have ANY help with this claim? A Veterans Service Organization? What are they telling you?

Do you actually have a doctor's diagnosis for "depression"? yes it from the va related to my stabbing

Is the VA taking care of your healthcare needs?yes they are but i quit going for the mental side of things since they wre focused on depression from stabbing

If so, are you seeing a VA psychiatrist or psychologist?va phychiatrist but i am looking for a private dr...

WHO are you seeing? Who decided that the depression was related to your being stabbed? the va dr did since that all i talked about before i claimed stuff

You filed three times for depression related to your service-connected issues. What was the outcome of all three of these claims? What did the Statement Of the Case (SOC) have to say about each one?

Do you have ANY help with this claim? yes A Veterans Service Organization? yes What are they telling you? too claim something beside depression for my sc issue becasue like before they keep getting deinided\\\

• HadIt.com Elder

If you get connected for chronic pain I don't see how they can deny you for depression as secondary to all those other issues. If would file for all those things and when you file NOD go get a lawyer or get Larry. Just because they deny you does not mean you can't get connected eventually. I got denied for an increase about five times before I finally got wise. I got me some good doctors and got help here on Hadit and I got my increase.

If you don't have a diagnosis or treatment for depression, you can' t file for it. Without a medical nexus or a doctor (better yet, a therapist) saying that your depression is the result of pain, etc, it won't happen. The SOC should tell you exactly why you were denied. Use the SOC as the map for building your rebuttal.

Edited by brokensoldier244th

my vso has told me to always go see the shrinks, to get the rating for depression disability. The thing is my doctors have been sending me to them for many years, espcially when a new docotrs didn't understand my pain.. and also when I spent a long time in a death bed in the hospital....

so I went to many appointments and special sessions for depression and also for pain clinics..

apparently, you must go to the shrinks for a long time to get a claim through..

but, it's not like I was faking it, having been sick in bed and not working for 20 years.. it is extremely miserable and you do wonder why life is worth putting up with nothing but suffering..

in any case, play the game..

IMHO

Request a consult at the local VAMC for the Pain Clinic, afterwards the Psychologist/Psychiatrist should add this into your GAF score. It isn't easy, but it should be effective eventually.