VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Uncharacterized / Entry Level Separation (Els)

Rate this question

averagejoe

Question

Background:

My Wife (before we met she had enlisted) did a delayed entry into the US Navy in Aug of 2001. She took her oath of enlistment on Jan 15th 2002.

She completed bootcamp and most of her A-School. However, on May 15th she was discharged.

Total TIS (not including delayed entry if that even counts) was 120 or 121 days (do they count the last day?)

On her DD-214 it states:

Uncharacterized / Entry level separation (ELS). Reason for discharge was "Personality Disorder". Reentry code is RE-4 (not eligible to re-enlist ever in any branch of service).

Odd note was Decorations, medals, etc authorized was None. But this was after Sep 11, 2001 and she did have on her class A's the National Defense Medal.

We got married in 2003 and I know nothing about the military / VA processes.

Now on to the question:

Is she eligible for any percentage of disability through the VA?

She claims she never had any type of personality disorder or other mental health issues previously. However, she may have been pre-disposed to it and her time on Active Duty aggravated the problem.

Over the last 7 years, she has had 5 jobs totaling 15 months of employment. Each job ends with a mutual agreement that she wasn't fired etc. She also sees a therapist on a regular basis.

Her medicine does cost some money and due to her not being able to hold down a job, we are at a significant economic disadvantage. Among other things with her being diagnosed with a mild depression in 2006 and trying to keep everybody in the house on track and feeding our kids at 5 am when I leave for work because she cannot function before 8 am and goes to bed at 10 pm.

Does my wife have a possible claim for disability? I understand it will take an extended period of time to process and even get referals or appt's with VA doctors.

She has copies of her DD-214 and they were sent to the VT Director of Veterans Affairs. She also has her orders from basic training at Great Lakes to her A-School at Great Lakes.

Where would her medical records be located? She has an appointment card for one of her visits to the clinic at Great Lakes. It has a phone number on it. Would that phone number turn up any of her medical records from 2002? Or were they archived elsewhere?

Thank you,

~ryan

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to researh the 38 CFR tirla 38 part 3. It is a very large chapter that goes into LOS (Length of service) requirements.

The VA does not pay disability compensation for a Personality disorder. Did she have some type of stressful event during her service?

Perhaps she can get the diagnosis changed.

Anyway, welcome to Hadit.

J

Edited by jbasser

What is she currently being treated for? What was the basis for Personality Disorder? Can give further instruction after that information is known.

Thank you for the replies.

She called the Navy clinic / hospital that she was treated at and the doctor still works there. They are sending some forms so she can get copies of her medical records from storage there.

I will review the 38 CFR tirla 38 part 3.

I haven't poked too much about what the stressful event was or if it was multiple stressful events. Just talking with me about it she gets really worked up for a few hours.

Currently she is being treated for depression but I don't know if her therapist has determined if she has a PD or not.

How would she go about getting the diagnosis changed or type of discharge changed?

Again thank you for the info. I'll keep you posted once we get copies of her medical records.

I found conflicting details on 180 days vs. service connected disability.

Thank you,

~ryan

• HadIt.com Elder

Usually, there is some deficiency in conduct or work performance that ends in a discharge for a personality disorder. Did she get in trouble? Was she failing her AIT class? You need to get her military records and medical records. Was she treated by a psychiatrist while in the service? For someone to be discharged out of AIT often means that there was a major malfunction especially in time of conflict where every body can plug a hole somewhere in the combat zone. What does she say as to the reason she was discharged? They don't just pull out of line one day and discharge you for a PD.