VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C And P Exam For Ptsd

Rate this question

Cm Burns

Question

I have my appointment for my c and p for ptsd, i would like to ask you guys what to expect and any advise you have.. i got so nervous talking to people i dont know I am not sure I can handle this. i rem someone said i can write down what happened instead of having to talk about. this would be better for me. can you help me with this... thnx in advance.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have my appointment for my c and p for ptsd, i would like to ask you guys what to expect and any advise you have.. i got so nervous talking to people i dont know I am not sure I can handle this. i rem someone said i can write down what happened instead of having to talk about. this would be better for me. can you help me with this... thnx in advance.

x

x

x

Take a good buddy, friend or relative with you if you can --make 'em sit in the waiting area, as near to you as possible. Don't throw chairs or desks at the examiner. Bring a copy of any recent medical reports that you think are important for the doctor to see; like something that has not yet made it into your VA medical records. Ask questions if you do not understand what is being said to you. Ask them to write down or take notes if you feel something is especially important for them to remember. Have a reminder list of things handy you want to remember to say ... what happened in the military and how it continues to affect you today. Your "list" should have things like: recent law trouble, relationship problems, employment problems, sleep problems. Stay up all night the night before the exam and pace the floor ... this is not a dress rehersal, this is the real deal --the moment is ripe for telling them how you really feel. Don't hold back. Don't throw the examiner down the stairs or out of the window. Even if you feel like it --use your words ;-) Good luck. ~Wings

I myself have felt this fear of not knowing what to expect.

Relax if you can but be honest with your problems. State the facts of every day issues and how it effects you. If you are unable to ask or tell them to look in your Doctors records. This is what i didn't do the first time and am regetting I painted picture of a good life picture when in deed it is not. Now I myself am going through it again.

Be strong and be honest, even if it hurts be honest.

Totally agree! I did pretty much as you advised. It's been a long road but I'm now at 70% for PTSD. The first Dr.(c&p) that I spoke to kept me in there for several hours because I did let it all out. I just said whatever came to mind and I'm sure I rambled, ranted and changed subjects. Don't let your temper get the better of you or swear. Let it out but within limits. Think worst day behavior and you'll be fine. Best of luck to you. x

x

x

Take a good buddy, friend or relative with you if you can --make 'em sit in the waiting area, as near to you as possible. Don't throw chairs or desks at the examiner. Bring a copy of any recent medical reports that you think are important for the doctor to see; like something that has not yet made it into your VA medical records. Ask questions if you do not understand what is being said to you. Ask them to write down or take notes if you feel something is especially important for them to remember. Have a reminder list of things handy you want to remember to say ... what happened in the military and how it continues to affect you today. Your "list" should have things like: recent law trouble, relationship problems, employment problems, sleep problems. Stay up all night the night before the exam and pace the floor ... this is not a dress rehersal, this is the real deal --the moment is ripe for telling them how you really feel. Don't hold back. Don't throw the examiner down the stairs or out of the window. Even if you feel like it --use your words ;-) Good luck. ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

Totally agree! I did pretty much as you advised. It's been a long road but I'm now at 70% for PTSD. The first Dr.(c&p) that I spoke to kept me in there for several hours because I did let it all out. I just said whatever came to mind and I'm sure I rambled, ranted and changed subjects. Don't let your temper get the better of you or swear. Let it out but within limits. Think worst day behavior and you'll be fine. Best of luck to you. x

x

x

You did good!! Congrats!! ~Wings

Im a wreck and my mind is blank. i cant sleep i ahve 2 days to the appointment. i am soo nervouse i dont know what to expect and i am scared. i can barely talk about what happend.... i dont have the strengh what am i gonna do i dont know what to expect or what to do. please give me advise..... i dont want to mess it up

Im a wreck and my mind is blank. i cant sleep i ahve 2 days to the appointment. i am soo nervouse i dont know what to expect and i am scared. i can barely talk about what happend.... i dont have the strengh what am i gonna do i dont know what to expect or what to do. please give me advise..... i dont want to mess it up

take your wife or a friend, maybe have someone else drive you..

be yourself, if you don't feel well, go there not feeling well, they want to see you at your worse.. not at your best,, just get there and back safely..