VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Leave Well Enough Alone?

Rate this question

JOHN1

Question

Since awarded 100% PTSD 5 months ago I have seen the Va Psy twice which was really just for meds modification. Should I only contact him when the presciptions run out or am I required to be doing something in the mean time. My condition is no better, worst if anything, and "group" was suggested but I can't do it (too hard to bring everthing back up). Without doing anything will Va state I am not following a certain program? I have never missed any appointments but have non scheduled. I am not P&T ans am 62.

Thanks

John

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

John , this is just my personal thought here but the VA justifies their awards and continues ratings when the veteran gets treatment for any disability.

It is good that you have regular psyche visits and meds.

But then again any vet center help or group participation for PTSD shows the VA you have ongoing treatment records aside from the doc appointments.

You might find that group discussions could benefit you.

When I worked at a vet center it was often VERY hard for some of the vets to open up. Some never did.

But just being with other PTSD vets even an hour a month although our group met every week, was very benefical to any vet feeling alone with their PTSD problems.

My husband had PTSD 100% and I think it can be almost "contagious" because it can affect the whole family.

The VA proposed to reduce my husband once from 3o to 10% PTSD stating he required no medication, was not in any group program, and he had sustained substantial employment due to his Voc Rehab..The letter came on Dec 24th. He read it and hollered Merry F---ing Christmas and threw the Christmas tree out the front door.

No meds because they gave him the VA employee shrink - a psychologist.Who couldnt write prescriptions.

No group because the VA group shrink said he had to be 100 % to be in the PTSD group.

I found ot the PTSD group consisted mainly of 100% NSC vets!

I wrote his NOD and stated that he did not become a rocket scientist after ONE sole semester of college under Voc Rehab and the VA (the director)had given him a part time VA non substantial job to appease him because he had basis (and OPM qualification confirmation)for EEOC case against them for another job which someone's relative got and they fired the personnel director for violating his rights.

VA turned on the NOD and sustained and continued his 30%.

I sure would not want to see you go thru any bull crap like that.Others here might disagree but even one group meeting a month shows the VA you still do have PTSD at the proper ratings.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been treated at VA mental health since Jan 2003 I have never done a group or a inpatient program in that time I only see my VA psychiatrist the appts have varied it used to be every 2 months in 2003 in 2005 they changed it to every 3 months in 2006 they tried every 6 months that didn't work to well and we went back to every 3 months and we have stayed on that schedule ever since the domicillary said I was to sick to be admitted to the inpatient program first time I ever heard I was to sick to be in a hospital

just keep refilling all of your meds and keep your appts and you shouldn't have any future problems with them normally after age 55 they leave vets alone unless you have committed some form of fraud in your claim if not go fishing and keep your appts when they come around and keep refilling your meds.......

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Berta and TestVet that if you want to protect your rating keep up the minimal treatment schedule. I go every three months and just chat to my shrink. We both know that I am not getting psychotherapy from the VA. 20 minutes every three months is not therapy. It is just a med check. Really, the VA is not meeting its responsibilites in treating mental health problems of vets. They don't meet their responsibility in treatment of most chronic conditions. Be sure you get your medicare and part B in case you really get sick. The whole VA treatment mode is public relations. The public wants to believe vets are being taken care of, so the VA creates the illusion on paper.

In patient treatment for mental illness, or substance abuse at my VAMC is just torture. I would not subject myself to that again ever.