VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New To Smc Need Advice

Rate this topic

Hello I am new to this area of the board I am currently rated for DDD of the lower back and had a 3 level lumbar fusion for my SC injury that has left me with nerve damage in both Left and right legs both feet (toes burn) and I am unable to do daily personal care. I had surgery on May 5 2010. I had surgery outside of the VA but it was granted fee basis but VA never would return surgeons calls or mine so I used my own insurance. I am unable to get around the house without help it is terrible in the mornings as I am unable to dress myself ( I am unable to bend anymore since surgery without pain I cannot put on my own socks or shoes other than flip flops without help). I have artheritis that is advanced more than 20 years my age in my lower back the surgeon noted for me to submit to the VA secondary as a result of the DDD of the the spine. I am married but my wife is unable to lose any more time from work as she has been warned about further loss of work due to being out with me. Do I qualify for SMC to get some help for me in the mornings?

I currently have applied for convolesecance pay as I am still waiting to be rated for IU now for over 2 years. I am 80% with 60% 30% 10% 10% 10% and several 0% but the DDD was only rated at 10% by the VA. I am not able to get out of bed withouth help and have to keep a bed pan should I get stuck alone in the house without anyone here. I asked the Primary care Physcian about getting me one of thsose bed devices to help me get up alone but his answer was to call in and make an appointment to go to VA orthapedics where they hand out the prostectic devices. I have called them waiting on return. Any adivce look forward to hearing from you. My Civillian surgeon said that he did all he could but the nerve damage and the limited motion are about as good as they get. He also said the artheiritsi is advanced on account of the injury and resulting deteriation of my lower spine and the numbness in my hands and fingers are in his opinon lookign at the MRI I now have movment in my upper spine on account of lower spine instability. He is hoping that with the fusion it should stabilize my upper back. I am stil thankfull for what I do have but my disability is effecting my family that is what hurts the most. Thanks adios..

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Smc S is based on a total plus 60 percent. That means 1 disability totally disabling and another one or combination of disabilities additionally rated at 60 percent. Or be housebound. (You may fit that criteria)

Your post sounds more like an Aid and Attendance issue.

J

Smc S is based on a total plus 60 percent. That means 1 disability totally disabling and another one or combination of disabilities additionally rated at 60 percent. Or be housebound. (You may fit that criteria)

Your post sounds more like an Aid and Attendance issue.

J

You might be right as of right now I am awaiting to be rated on my current claims for an increase in my back, artheritis of the lumbar spine, Bilateral neuropathy secondary to my SC back and Bilateral Knee injuries and artehrits in both of the knee joints. I do not hink that will get me from 80% to over 160% I will look up Aid and Attendance. Thanks...

Be sure to check out the criteria for the SMC K awards too- 38 USC 1114 if you have lose of use of your hands or feet.

or anything else.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello I am new to this area of the board I am currently rated for DDD of the lower back and had a 3 level lumbar fusion for my SC injury that has left me with nerve damage in both Left and right legs both feet (toes burn) and I am unable to do daily personal care. I had surgery on May 5 2010. I had surgery outside of the VA but it was granted fee basis but VA never would return surgeons calls or mine so I used my own insurance. I am unable to get around the house without help it is terrible in the mornings as I am unable to dress myself ( I am unable to bend anymore since surgery without pain I cannot put on my own socks or shoes other than flip flops without help). I have artheritis that is advanced more than 20 years my age in my lower back the surgeon noted for me to submit to the VA secondary as a result of the DDD of the the spine. I am married but my wife is unable to lose any more time from work as she has been warned about further loss of work due to being out with me. Do I qualify for SMC to get some help for me in the mornings?

I currently have applied for convolesecance pay as I am still waiting to be rated for IU now for over 2 years. I am 80% with 60% 30% 10% 10% 10% and several 0% but the DDD was only rated at 10% by the VA. I am not able to get out of bed withouth help and have to keep a bed pan should I get stuck alone in the house without anyone here. I asked the Primary care Physcian about getting me one of thsose bed devices to help me get up alone but his answer was to call in and make an appointment to go to VA orthapedics where they hand out the prostectic devices. I have called them waiting on return. Any adivce look forward to hearing from you. My Civillian surgeon said that he did all he could but the nerve damage and the limited motion are about as good as they get. He also said the artheiritsi is advanced on account of the injury and resulting deteriation of my lower spine and the numbness in my hands and fingers are in his opinon lookign at the MRI I now have movment in my upper spine on account of lower spine instability. He is hoping that with the fusion it should stabilize my upper back. I am stil thankfull for what I do have but my disability is effecting my family that is what hurts the most. Thanks adios..

Is your 2 year wait, after a denial, and NOD?

You mentioned an additional surgery on May 5, 2010. you had surgery outside of the VA but it was granted fee basis but VA never would return surgeons calls, so you used your own insurance". Have you submitted the "outside" doctor's records to the VA?

Edited by Commander Bob

Yes Sir I submited all notes and records from my Civillian Nuerosurgeon He even went so far as to write me his Opinion to the fact the Artheritis was 20 years advanced beyond my age and was a factor involving the need for surgery for my service connected back injury. I also asked him to send in a letter about my ability to gain meaningful employment but based on my 3 level fusion and the damage the arteritis has done it wasnot possible for me to work.

As to the 2 year wait on IU I have had trouble with my back since I hurt it in service but this current surgeon I have been with 7 years with my current surgeon who at the time of me putting in for I/U had wanted to wait and see if things got better or worse. I had a lamenectomy in 2001 with my first surgeon and thought it would help instead it made my back worse. I started having more and more problems I finnaly got SC for my back and they lowballed me@10%.I then went and had an implanted stimulator (2009) trying to aviod surgery and keep from being tied to meds for the second time and had went ahead with current fushion. Now I am worse off as I am falling more but at least I am not urinating on myself as I was before surgery. If i had it to do over again I would have had fusion instead of laminectomy the nerve damage would have not been asa bad as it is. Sorry to ramble but the IU was appealed and letter from Surgeon as well as 2 other Doctors were on file considering my not being able to work. I am only 45 and I hope to be able to keep my wife from loosing her job as we need the insurance for the kids. I am 80% been that way for 3-4 years withe the right % to qualify for IU VA just doing the deny deny deny routine. I hope the Aid and attendance will not take as long as IU. I got the idea for A/A from the hadit crew I am at least looking towards that as relief the wife and family are great it is just I need help dressing everyday and washing/getting in and out of shower. Small things I never would have thought of before. Adios thanks for any advice I think I am going to make it I have to keep telling myself that everyday. Positive wins the race negativeity nevers finnishes it..