VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical Records

Rate this question

ScottCGAS

Question

It took forever but I finally received my medical records from my military service. I was going through them, (It looks like a Los Angeles phone book) and I saw a prostate results test and I thought, I didn't think I had one except for the stool sample screen. I then noticed that the VA Records had sent me another Veterans Records mixed in with mine. It had his SSN, DOB, ect.. This is not acceptable, what if this info got into the wrong hands?? Would an identity theft be passed off as a hacker probably hacked into a data base? This needs to be publicized, who do I contact to get this in the news? I would have to say that this is not the first time this has happened to a Veteran. Who would want there personal medical records sent to another individual? If this fell into the wrong hands it could be devastating to some poor unsuspecting Vet..

This needs to be heard by the public on news. This is why Vets get so angry with the VA.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This happened to me last year. I requested a copy of all files that St. Louis had. Lo and behold mixed in with my files were some records of another serviceman. I email the records dept and reported the error.

They take this very serious! Homeland Security was evolved before all was cleared up.

Keep the records private and report it to Records ASAP, they have absolutely no sense of humor when it comes to this.

Dave

Go directly to the top:

Department of Veterans Affairs, Privacy Service, 810 Vermont Avenue, N.W. (005R1A) Washington, DC 20420.

Yes, this does happens a lot. A few years ago I was waiting on a rating decision from VA and it finally came and I opened it and started reading as fast as I could and then found out that my claim was denied. I went to the reason for decision and was reading a denial for something I didn't claim and then I look at the cover sheet and found out that it was not my claim but another veteran's claim. I called VA and told them and they sent an envelope for me to return it. I think it happens more then we could imagine.

happened with me and SSA, i doubt its not uncommon, VA also said they got my marriage certificate, ive never been married, but i wont request my c file till after a decision so no telling whos claim i got

I have decided to call Homeland Security. I called them and I am waiting on a call back from Inspector Generals office. What if this info was sent to someone who decided they needed to join a religious group that was for terroism? They could use the info to take on that persons identity. I know its far fetched, but it could happen..

Thanks to all at hadit.com, Scott

I have finally gotten ahold of a lady in Wsh,DC. and she had me fax her the paperwork. We talked for about 15minutes and it turns out that she was a Veteran and she took this to heart. She said what they will probably offer credit monitoring for a year to the Veteran whose paperwork was sent to me. She was going to have to contact ST Louis to find out exactly who sent it out and there supervisor so they can go through procedures to make sure everyone is doing things right.

Maybe its just smoke, who knows? Hopefully someone will get reprimanded.