VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Claims

Rate this question

pkbivins

Question

Hello fellow Vets,

Its has been awhile since posting on this wonderful forum. A lot has changed on this site,I was a member several years ago when things looked very different. This place has really grown! I have a question regarding Secondary Claims. Several years ago the VA diagnosed me with Osteopenia. It went untreated and eventually turned into full blown Osteoporosis. I have had several bone density test to verify this. I have been seeing a civilian MD(I give myself weekly injections of Testosterone 100mg) and he has written a letter stating my Osteoporosis is directly related to the many years of being on Narcotics for pain control. I was Medically discharged from the Navy in 95 after having an 8 level spinal fusion with Harrington Rods. I am currently TDIU being paid at 100% level. Though when you add up add my disability its around 140% then VA math has it whittled down to 80%, if that makes any sense? All Service Connected. Have been out of work since 2003, I am a Registered Nurse. My question is, "Can I file for secondary issues as the Osteoporosis was directly related to the years of Narcotics for pain control?"

Also, I was told by one of the guys in my Pain School that if your pain medications have increased OR have changed to something Stronger, it is grounds for a 10% increase. Has anyone else been told this?

Thank you for the help. I must say that I owe my current disability rating to this forum. I followed the advice from people I trusted and had to be patient with the system but it eventually paid off. Thanks Hadit.

SailorDoc

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

I dont see how a new claim would warrant SMC- others will chime in on that however.

This concerns me:

"Also, I was told by one of the guys in my Pain School that if your pain medications have increased OR have changed to something Stronger, it is grounds for a 10% increase. Has anyone else been told this?"

It could be part of an overall increase in considering a higher disability rating, if claimed- but there is nothing I know of that would definitely award additional 10% solely for any change or increase in pain medication.