VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Interpetation Of Axix I

Rate this question

stever

Question

My AXIS I diagnosis is PTSD and recurrent major depressive disorder separate from the PTSD, but aggravated by it. The wording of separate has me curious. Could someone clarify this for me.

Thanks,

Stever

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My AXIS I diagnosis is PTSD and recurrent major depressive disorder separate from the PTSD, but aggravated by it. The wording of separate has me curious. Could someone clarify this for me.

Thanks,

Stever

It means that you suffer from TWO different psychiatric disorders, the PRIMARY disorder being PTSD............the secondary disorder, MDD, which is aggravated by the PTSD. So, you have TWO mental disorders. It is good that you have been diagnosed with an "aggravation", that ties the MDD into the PTSD. Now, how much percentage, how much rating is the PTSD/MDD worth, well, first of all, VA only RATES ONE mental disorder...........but, having said that, then I would think that PTSD with concommitant MDD would bring a higher rating than JUST PTSD (and you can take that and $5 and get a cup of coffee at Starbucks, I think.........).

Thanks Larry I just received Sc from the Bva About a month ago after years of wating, hope they go back afew years on this one. Just received the standard letter from the RO that they have received my files from the BVA and that they are working on my claim. I forgot to mention my GAF score was 50

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Larry I just received Sc from the Bva About a month ago after years of wating, hope they go back afew years on this one. Just received the standard letter from the RO that they have received my files from the BVA and that they are working on my claim. I forgot to mention my GAF score was 50

Have you filed for PTSD?

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, you have a co-morbid condition of MMD and a GAF of 50. All things being equal that should get you 70%. Are you working? Your ability to work is a big factor in your rating for any mental health disorder.