VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Some Advice Please

Rate this question

TLaff

Question

I have had a 3 level cervical fusion 2 years ago and have stenosis, I suffer from a CHRONIC thoracic compression constant pain, and an annular tear also chronic pain and pain radiating down to my foot on both sides.

I have been getting headaches that turn into migraines pretty much daily and the only thing that helps is to lay down but when i get back up the pain starts to prgress again the longer i am up. These have been happening for about six months now and i have been to VA emergency a few times and the primary doctor in which they only give me stuff for anti- inflamatory and muscle spasms. The primary sent me to pain management to see about getting me on stronger meds but they just called and said they want to do therapy (traction) to my cervical and give me medicine to help me sleep. Further the questionnaire they gave me along with all my most recent paperwork they were not interested in seeing it. Im in allot of pain 24 hours a day tremendous headaches pain throughout my spine and my orthopedic doctor states i have Degenerative Changes throughout my entire spine along with arthritis and will only get worse over time and that at this point he does not offer any further surgery because he would not know where to stop or start.

I need advice on how to get some stronger pain medicine i drink allot now because of the pain and I am always thinking of suicide because i feel there is no end to my pain and problems and no one takes me serious and i dont want to go to a shrink because im afraid they will lock me up or something.

Please any advise would be helpful ???

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I have had a 3 level cervical fusion 2 years ago and have stenosis, I suffer from a CHRONIC thoracic compression constant pain, and an annular tear also chronic pain and pain radiating down to my foot on both sides.

I have been getting headaches that turn into migraines pretty much daily and the only thing that helps is to lay down but when i get back up the pain starts to progress again the longer i am up. These have been happening for about six months now and i have been to VA emergency a few times and the primary doctor in which they only give me stuff for anti- inflamatory and muscle spasms. The primary sent me to pain management to see about getting me on stronger meds but they just called and said they want to do therapy (traction) to my cervical and give me medicine to help me sleep. Further the questionnaire they gave me along with all my most recent paperwork they were not interested in seeing it. Im in allot of pain 24 hours a day tremendous headaches pain throughout my spine and my orthopedic doctor states i have Degenerative Changes throughout my entire spine along with arthritis and will only get worse over time and that at this point he does not offer any further surgery because he would not know where to stop or start.

I need advice on how to get some stronger pain medicine i drink allot now because of the pain and I am always thinking of suicide because i feel there is no end to my pain and problems and no one takes me serious and i dont want to go to a shrink because im afraid they will lock me up or something.

Please any advise would be helpful ???

• HadIt.com Elder

[i drink allot now because of the pain and I am always thinking of suicide because i feel there is no end to my pain and problems and no one takes me serious and i dont want to go to a shrink because im afraid they will lock me up or something.]

TLaff,

the above statement of you drinking all the time and are desperate for pain medications is one reason the VA and private Dr's will shy away from giving you anything but inflamatorys and muscle relaxants.

It wasn't until I got my head together enough to make myself go to a psychiatrist that I finally started getting the right medications prescribed. Pain is felt by the brain. Therefore the psychiatrist takes president over pain issues.

Make up your mind now to save your life and do something about your chronic pain.

Go see the psychiatrist and get some real help.

I feel for you. I've been there.

Allan

• HadIt.com Elder

I am sorry that you are in such a bad position but drinking is not a solution and the VA that I know is rarely good when a Veteran is using drugs or drinking. However, the VA does have programs to help you stop drinking and you don't necessarily have to be locked up. When you are in such a program the VA will treat you for your medical problems but you have to ask for help.

I wish I had an easier way but I don't. Suicide is not an answer cause I can say that if you can learn to stop drinking and yes it is a learning process you will feel a lot different.

I quit drinking in 1982 it quit working for me

I am in chronic pain myself Lumbar area. I know what you are going through. But, if you stop drinking all the time the Dr.s will be more willing to treat you and take you much more serious

• HadIt.com Elder

I take opiates from the VA. When I do piss test if they find alcohol I am out of the program. One drink the night before an exam and I am done. The VA is so paranoid that you will OD and they will get blamed they will toss you out on slightest indication you are drinking or using illegal drugs for pain. I get asked 20 questions every time I get perscription filled for any narcotic. I have been in the program for years and still they suspect me of either selling my drugs or abusing them.