VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Shots Versus Patches

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Why won't the provide the shots. I get them. Some yrs back I did them for a yr and the VA did them, then, too.

pr

I started off with the patches but hated them.They would take the skin off at times. My skin would itch like the devil after awhile. I went to the, I guess a lotion for lack of a better word. I would apply it and stand under a ceiling fan for a long time for it to dry. I still would wake up with it stuck to my t-shirt. I went to the shots a few months ago and it is much better. My blood test levels went up to normal as well. The only negative is the VA won't provide the shots and the medicine is a little expensive.

I haven't gotten dizzy yet. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

vet12

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vet12, our location is Kentucky and the VA has supplied both the shots and the patches. E didn't have any trouble getting either, but because of the dizziness with the patches he will probably go back on the shots. His problem with the shot is that will insulin shots daily he kinda gets tired of SHOTS know what I mean? I don't see why your VA will not pay for your shots or patches. As far as I know low or no hormone levels is not connected to AO exposure. Correct me if I'm wrong. Are you service connected for anything?

Carolyn

• HadIt.com Elder

vet12 - they're injecting me w/Delatestryl (testerone enanthate injection USP in sesame oil). I guess the sesame oil is for an Asian twist. ;-) Check the VA's formulary and if it's listed they should give it to ya, especially since you're 50%sc. In my case the pharmacy sends me the drug. I store it and bring it w/me, for injection, then I store until next visit. I can see them eventually teaching a patient how to self inject to save mileage costs.

pr

Philip,

I was told only patches were provided thru the VA. I have an appointment next week. Will ask again. It would save a some bucks. thanks

vet12

Carolyn,

I finally talked to the right person at the VA and was told that they do stock the medication for shots. I would just need to speak with my primary physician to get it. I really appreciate your help. Happy Labor day.

vet12

vet12, thank you for thanking me! Glad to help in some small way. Good Luck. You just had to mention the word Labor didn't you? Since I run the farm I try to shy away from that word as much as I can.

Carolyn

Philip I already give E his insulin shots so why can't I give him his hormone. Good idea but they probably wouldn't do it maybe they think I would use the hormone on myself. Ha! E just came in and said they don't like a lay person, meaning little ole me, giving it because the needle is longer and it's given in the hip. Duh I know that. Just saying.

It would be simpler for us and I don't really like the drive twice a month anyway.

Carolyn