VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Shots Versus Patches

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Carolyn - testosterone is a hormone/steroid and I can't see why they wouldn't let you give the injection. Ask the doc to allow it. They may "teach" you and monitor you once or twice, to make sure you do it properly and don't hit a vein or artery. It should be the same size needle, unless the hormone is more viscous. They'll generally give it in the hip due to the thickness of the needle or the volume of medication given, so it doesn't hurt as much but it can be given in the arm, as I believe they are given intramuscularly. jmo

pr

vet12, thank you for thanking me! Glad to help in some small way. Good Luck. You just had to mention the word Labor didn't you? Since I run the farm I try to shy away from that word as much as I can.

Carolyn

Philip I already give E his insulin shots so why can't I give him his hormone. Good idea but they probably wouldn't do it maybe they think I would use the hormone on myself. Ha! E just came in and said they don't like a lay person, meaning little ole me, giving it because the needle is longer and it's given in the hip. Duh I know that. Just saying.

It would be simpler for us and I don't really like the drive twice a month anyway.

Carolyn

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philip, E goes to urology tomorrow and I'll ask for permission. He's taken this for about 2 1/2 years, oops that's not right he started in '06, and they have always given it in the hip. His is Testosterone is Enan 200mg/ml inj (in oil). Don't you ever feel that you almost have a medical degree without the pay sometimes. Contrary to what SOME people think every veteran I know would just as soon not have a disability at all. It would help if we could just get the truth about things in general I read somewhere "That here are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting". Sure helps with a support group like this. Thanks for caring.

Carolyn

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I said I wasn't having any problems. Boy was I wrong. I have been on patches and gel for several years. The doctor couldn't get my levels up. So in June he put me on 0.5ML Testosterone CYP 200MG/ML 10ML. This was one shot a week. I take them on Sundays so it has almost been a week. Every since I started taking them I started having panic attacks, but this past week has been terrible. I didn't put 2 and 2 together because I think I am over medicated. My wife figured it out and we did research stating this is a side effect. I have never had panic attacks before and hope I never will again. My question is: Can I go cold turkey and quit the testosterone? That is my plan. I will not take another shot.

Once I get this straight I am going to look into my other meds. I take Simvastatin 40MG which has a side effect of leg pain. Then I take Pain meds. Then more pain meds. I'm like a zombie. Life has to be better.

vet12, I'm assuming that you were taken off the gel and/or patches before taking the shots? E only got his every two weeks. I think that a lot to take by taking a shot every week. I think E is on the same dosage only bi-monthly. We think the gel was too much, too quick. I think that's so because of his dizziness. Testosterone is really important for the body, it helps you keep muscle strength, maintain energy levels, keeps your voice low and hair on your body it helps correlate quite a few different things. Contrary to what people think it does not help with erectile dysfunction or cause it because of low levels. The levels of testosterone range from 241-827. E runs at 175 so this is why he's so exhausted all the time. You probably need to find out what your level is at. Every drug we take has side effects just check with your dr. to see if things can be changed. We try this all the time. What works for E may not work for you. Good luck and hang in there!

Carolyn

Carolyn,

I was taken off the gel before starting the shots. I believe I was given too high a dose. Once a week I think is too much. The doctor was determined to bring my level up regardless of the side effects.

My reason for having low levels is due to cancer treatment(non-Hodgkin agent orange connected which my claim is still on appeal since I filed in 2003. Yes, I am angry.

Thank you for the insight. vet12

You're probably right about the dosage. We have to be our own doctor, right? Sorry you're dealing with Non-Hodgkin's..May I ask a question? What were your symptoms of Non-Hodgkins? E has swelled lymph glands that we're watching. Just curious but not trying to take any thing away from your concerns about your conditions.

May I ask why your appeal is taking so long? I know it takes a long time sometimes but is something missing in your claim or are they just being a--holes? A fellow vet's wife,

Carolyn