VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Class Action Filed For Vets

Rate this question

Berta

Question

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...EWS01/606010362

"Associated Press

A federal lawsuit filed on behalf of 26.5 million veterans whose personal information was on a stolen computer disk asks the Department of Veterans Affairs to compensate the veterans and pay for their credit monitoring.

The suit was filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Cincinnati by attorney Paul Hackett of Indian Hill, a Marine reservist who served in Iraq. Hackett, a Democrat, ran unsuccessfully against Rep. Jean Schmidt, R-Ohio, in a special election in Ohio's 2nd District last year.

The suit asks the VA to pay damages of at least $1,000 per veteran.

"We're not looking for big emotional distress damages," said attorney Chris Jenkins, a co-counsel in the filing. "We're looking for these people to be made whole.""

full story at link above.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Very good question since no one knows who was on the lost data or at least they are not admitting it. Class action suits usually will include an entire class of people and that would probably be all vets. I did not even know there were 26 million vets alive today.

I think it is all living veterans and all widows of veterans-

cant prove that but the figures just do not add up right-

The VA data page says there were 26,549,704 veterans in the USA and Puerto Rico in 2000 Census.

Another page said 24,000,000 vets in USA.

I do not think the returning servicemen and women since then are close to the same amount as those vets who died since the census-that would not make sense-

In Gold Star Wives we have only 10,000 members- but I would imagine the figure for all vet widows and widowers of vets is quite high.

Isnt it odd that we cannot even get a straight answer on the figures?

Guest jstacy

I tried to do the math for that at $1000 per Vet. I get 26.52 billion dollars. Or better than that. 10 percent of the entire Poupulation of the US.

Talk about budget shortfalls?

I will opt out of the lawsuit I think by the time the Lawyers get done with it you will be lucky to see $10.00. I do not support the lawsuit the only ones that will make out are the lawyers. Money would just come out of veterans services and they are short now. JMHO