• Latest Donations

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Available Subscriptions

Sign in to follow this  
Berta

Champva Svr Show

Last night's CHAMPVA show at SVR ( available in the SVR archives) was an excellent overview of this wonderful dependent's benefit for most dependents of totally SC P & T service connected veterans.

I wanted to point out a few things that might not have been covered:

When the CHAMPVA award is made, the CHAMPVA beneficiary still has to formally apply for the benefit and they can do this on line at the CHAMPVA site.

The point Glenn Johnson made as to Medicare "D" bears repeating.

Once a CHAMPVA beneficiary starts to become eligible for Medicare they must apply for Part A and Part B but they do not need Part D or any AARP pharmacy insurance etc- because their CHAMPVA will cover a very large part of their medication bills.

Survivors of deceased vets whose death has been service connected also are eligible for CHAMPVA.

I would think any TDIU vet who does not have the P & T status yet might well consider getting a Vocational expert opinion or medical IMO that would support a finding that their SC is,in fact, P & T.

Because although this could cost them money for the opinion- if the CHAMPVA is awarded as result of the opinion (and DEA Chap 35 educational benefits) through an award of P & T status these are both VERY significant financial benefits to dependents of SC veterans.

CHAMPVA,like Medicare, sends beneficiaries a large booklet that explains the program in detail.as well as the Bi annual magazine I mentioned on the show.

Unfortunately, as a woman at CHAMPVA told me, many Section 1151 widows/widowers think they are eligible for CHAMPVA with the Section 1151 DIC award but they are not.Se said it was heartbreaking to tell them they cannot receive this benefit.

If the veteran however was declared as 100% P & T due to service by the VA based on a rating decision from a pending claim the widow or widower reopened after death or had this SC P & T status for something that was separate from the 1151 award,then that would prompt CHAMPVA eligibility.

This is why all surviving spouses of veterans should seek DIC on a direct SC death basis if they can.

Denials for CHAMPVA can be appealed.

This BVA shows why a widow was denied CHAMPVA.

http://www4.va.gov/v...es3/1022968.txt

She was denied because she received 1151 DIC

http://www4.va.gov/v...es1/1009203.txt

This widow remarried and could not retain DIC or CHAMPVA.

http://www4.va.gov/v...es2/1016717.txt

This case came up under CHAMPVA search as the widow was seeking probably CHAMPVA and other VA benefits. She was denied because the veteran had 2 wives.

http://www4.va.gov/v...es1/0801605.txt

This widow succeeded in award of CHAMPVA by the VA.

I have not read the whole case but caught a point that BVA made in it-

apparently if a spouse is NOT eligible for Medicare Part A, then the CHAMPVA could continue.

This is a 2008 decision and they cite the regs. I dont know if that has changed.It is a good question for when Glenn Johnson of CHAMPVA returns to SVR.

Edited by Tbird
�A�d�d�e�d� �l�i�n�k� �t�o� �S�V�R� �A�r�c�h�i�v�e�s

Ad

I like the way ChampVA coordinates with medicare and with other insurance. My wife had a major surgery. She has BC/BS which is primary. The ChampVA paid all the rest. It took some calling. You have to talk slowly to the ChampVa people, but they do pay. ChampVA is a major benefit.

Sign in to follow this  

• Ads

• Ad

• Latest News
  • Our picks

• SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Ad Free Subscriptions to the Forum available
      Ad free subscriptions are available for the forum. Subscriptions give you the forums ad free and help support the forum and site. Monthly $5 Annually $50 https://community.hadit.com/subscriptions/

Every bit helps - Thank you.

• 0 replies
    • Choosing a VA Disability Attorney Means Learning What Questions to Ask
      Choosing a VA Disability Attorney Means Learning What Questions to Ask. Chris Attig - Veterans Law Blog 

<br style="color:#000000; text-align:start">How to Hire an Attorney For Your VA Claim or Appeal Free Guidebook available on the Veterans Law Blog

I got an email the other day from a Veteran.  It had 2 or 3 sentences about his claim, and then closed at the end: “Please call me. So-and-so told me you were the best and I want your help.”

While I appreciate the compliments, I shudder a little at emails like this.  For 2 reasons.

First, I get a lot of emails like this.  And while I diligently represent my clients – I often tell them we will pursue their claim until we have no more appeals or until we win – I am most assuredly not the best.

There are a LOT of damn good VA Disability attorneys out there.  (Most, if not all, of the best are members of the National Organization of Veterans Advocates…read about one of them, here)

Second, I don’t want Veterans to choose their attorney based on who their friend thought was the best.  I want Veterans to choose the VA Disability attorney who is BEST for their case.

In some situations, that may be the Attig Law Firm.

But it may also be be Hill and Ponton, or Chisholm-Kilpatrick, or Bergman Moore.  Or any one of the dozens of other attorneys who have made the representation of Veterans their professional life’s work.

There are hundreds of attorneys that are out there representing Veterans, and I’m here to tell you that who is best for your friend’s case may not be the best for your case.

How do you Find the Best VA Disability Attorney for your Claim?

First, you have to answer the question: do you NEED an attorney?

Some of you don’t...
      • 1 reply
    • VA Emergency Medical Care
      VA Emergency Medical Care
      • 3 replies
    • Veterans Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act
      Veterans Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act
      • 0 replies
    • Thanks Berta for your help. I did receive my 100% today for my IU claim on 6/20/2018. It only took 64 days to complete and it is p&t. Thanks for your words of wisdom. 

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines