VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question On Service Connectin

Rate this question

burghpitts

Question

I have been in the AF for 7.5 years in 09 I was diagnosed with migraines, but the Dr. and I do not know how they started. Then I was diagnosed with being pre-hypertensive and chronic kidney disease.

My neurologist wanted me to do a sleep study do to my migraines in the morning andte frequencey of them. I did a sleep study and found out I had OSA. I just got prescribed a CPAP machine.

My question is all of these conditions arein my medical record, how do I get these service connected? Do I need a nexus letter or since I have been diagnosed in the service it is service connected? Oh I have a little over a year left on my enlistment. Thank you for your help!!

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have been in the AF for 7.5 years in 09 I was diagnosed with migraines, but the Dr. and I do not know how they started. Then I was diagnosed with being pre-hypertensive and chronic kidney disease.

My neurologist wanted me to do a sleep study do to my migraines in the morning andte frequencey of them. I did a sleep study and found out I had OSA. I just got prescribed a CPAP machine.

My question is all of these conditions arein my medical record, how do I get these service connected? Do I need a nexus letter or since I have been diagnosed in the service it is service connected? Oh I have a little over a year left on my enlistment. Thank you for your help!!

No, since you are still on active duty you do not need a nexus letter, all you need to do is continue to get them documented. When you file your claim for VA disability, make sure you claim Sleep apnea, migraines, hypertension and any other condition you have been treated for while in service. Make sure you file your claims within 30 days from when you get out.

(a) Compensation. This term means a monthly payment made by the Department of Veterans Affairs to a veteran because of service-connected disability, or to a surviving spouse, child, or parent of a veteran because of the service-connected death of the veteran occurring before January 1, 1957, or under the circumstances outlined in paragraph ©(2) of this section. If the veteran was discharged or released from service, the discharge or release must have been under conditions other than dishonorable.

(b) Disability compensation. (1) Basic entitlement for a veteran exists if the veteran is disabled as the result of a personal injury or disease (including aggravation of a condition existing prior to service) while in active service if the injury or the disease was incurred or aggravated in line of duty.

A nexus statement (LETTER) is for a veteran filing a claim that has been out of the military for years and then files a claim, That veteran would need a doctor's opinion that he had the condition in the military, he has a current disability and they are related. That is a nexus statement/letter. If you file within 30 days from getting out, you will not need to go through this. A veteran only need to prove that he had the condition or symptoms while on active duty.

Edited by pacmanx1

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think the VA recognizes "pre-hypertension" as a SC disease in order to get SC for hypertension you actually have to meet the guidelines for hypertension

mine is SC but I have hypertension that meets the guidelines for it

I think that pre-hypertension is numbers that are higher than normal but do not raise a person to the point where they actually wrote you meds to control it they just think that you merit watching in the future in case it does turn into hypertension has your physician actually put you on medication to control your blood pressure?

Make sure you get a copy of all your medical records before you leave the service even if you re-enlist it is best to always keep copies of your records, and put them somewhere safe like a locked box that you can leave at your parents home or a bank box those records may very well be what you need in the years to come to prove service connection shot records everything even copies of bases you have been assigned to you never know when they will discover some toxic substance that was in the water wells 20-40 years down the road.... and try to file only to be told there is no record you were there if you have copies of them then you can verify it

I didn't learn until 2003 that my 201 file shows I was assigned to a unit at Camp Casey even though I was in the 1/31st Inf on the DMZ AO was used in the DMZ not at Camp Casey so making sure your personnel records show the right assignments is important also they do make mistakes luckily my medical records all say 1/31 for that time period and there are no 2/39th Inf medical records anywhere in my medical files even thought he 201 file says 2/39 during that time period I wonder if the computer records are as bad as the old paper records were?

• HadIt.com Elder

File your claim for both conditions when you are allowed to file. You want to take your Blood pressure when you are having a Migraine. They may be caused by the BP.

Record every BP reading you can. Compensable readings are as follows. Systolic 160 or higher or Diastolic 100.

J

Be sure to get documentation of your medical issues while you are

still AD, along with your own copies of everything and send them home

to someone you trust.

You should go thru the BDD Program prior to separation and you

should claim all conditions as shown in SMR/STR's.

List them individually during BDD.