VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd

Rate this question

jhilly

Question

I filed a claim for PTSD...I am seeing a VA Pch Doc, who has sent me to several others...all state I have PTSD...C & P says "Anxiety disorder (claimed as post traumatic stress disorder)"...someone I know says to re-submit claim for PTSD which will be a separate rating from anxiety disorder...is this true or is it the same thing???

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you able to maintain employment? 30% is a light rating and a GAF of 70 indicates mild problems. I have anxiety and I don't really think that many who are diagnosed with it are 70 GAF or a VA low ball rating of 30%. Light anxiety is kind of why bother with a rating.

PTSD even if you have it and I would guess you do does not matter as the door was opened with the 40% rating. It all hangs on your ratings now.

The VA does not rate separately PTSD and Anxiety. Its all lumped in together.

Good Luck

My opinion is you probably were lowballed but need more info from you.

thx SO much Pete....Im gathering I need to just keep seeing the doc and file for an increase, right??

I am getting help with a NOD now and I will be sending it in...I plan to keep seeing my doc, she has been wanting to have more contact with me anyways.....another friend told me to also go to a civilian doc....

• HadIt.com Elder

The C&P exam you got does not make sense. They grant you a 30% award for anxiety because of combat experience, but they say it is not PTSD. PTSD is just another kind of anxiety disorder. I don't understand why your anxiety disorder is not PTSD. You meet the criteria. I think the VA is playing games. However, as I said you can get 100% for anxiety disorder just the same as for PTSD. The criteria is really the same for disability purpose.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Congrat's on getting SC for Anxiety D/O!!!

But I am left wondering if the VA examiner failed to provide a complete PTSD C&P examination? See Initial Evaluation for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm43.htm

If your VA medical records have diagnosed PTSD, and the VA does concede a combat stressor, then which of the PTSD criteria was NOT met? There should have been a more detailed discussion --the C&P Exam may be inadaquate for rating purposes: you filed for PTSD, not a simple anxiety d/o. Did they give you psyche testing? PTSD can change course over time (new symptoms, acute sxs, complex, or worse symptoms), whereas an anxiety disorder may just get better or worse over time.

The Rating Award should have included a more detailed discussion of the DSMIV criteria for PTSD.

Diagnostic Criteria of PTSD http://www.ptsdsupport.net/whatis.html

Anyway, you can take the money and run, take the money and appeal --or file for PTSD later ... ~Wings

• Founder

PTSD is one of many that fall into Anxiety Disorder. If you are being rated and treated appropriately I wouldn't argue with them about what they call it.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me. That if you are getting the proper treatment and the proper rating, does it really matter what they call it?

The criteria for PTSD is very strict, while anxiety disorder is a bit broader.

Please correct me if I am wrong in my thinking on this.