VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Radiculopathy Lower Extremity Percentage Question!

Rate this question

rgero311975

Question

I have been stuck at 10 % for years and I dont understand why? I have read the chapter 38 regulation on the percenatage for my disability,but its still rated analogous and this is so wide open.. They keep saying my radiculopthy is rated as mild ...? I dont understand how they rated this at all how can you get above 10% without having leg drop or something? I am in a wheelchair and i cant really walk on it becasue it givies out on me and i have numbness in it and pain!!

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My private doc noted antalgic gait (no leg favored listed) in my last exam that I got to build my case for an increase and for service connection that I had a month ago. Can gait alone be secondary? Im currently claiming for svc connection for left leg radiculopathy, right leg worsening, and ED as a result of DDD and medication. I didn't specifically claim 'altered gait'. Do I have to, or do they read between the lines? (ha)

Hmm...that could be interesting if they raise my existing Rt extremity from 10%, or somehow figure the gait into my request to service connect my left extremity.

rgero311975, I received 20% for radiculopathy left lower extremity. My initial claim was (pain in left leg, hip, foot and buttocks)> The va states that diagnosis of radiculopathy of the left lower extremity with positive nerve conduction studies, an antalgic gait favoring the left lower extremity and objective findings to include decreased light touch sensation below the knee, lateral aspect of the left to the dorsum of the left foot. I am sercice connected 20% for lumbar strain with ddd, with the radiculopathy being secondary. I did have a civilian dr do the emg which had confirmed left lower radiculopathy. My VSO was surprised of the percentage he did state that radiculopathy normally rates at 10%. Did you state having painin your buttocks? I did and they lumped the left buttocki in with the left radiculopathy and I received 0% for the right buttock.

Don't give up.

Postman56

they never read between the lines you got a spell it out and fill it in for them.. I am 10% for lower extremity radiculopthy and been that way for 5 years and keep appealing it and geting nothing... I told them weakness in my leg and it gives out on me..Nerve conduction was done at a priate dr and mine was in my favor but still nada!!? when it is totally senory they will not give you more than 10% by the regs! So i need more than hey pain in my butt or something and i dont understand how to get higher as i deserve more than a `10%?????

I was also 10% for the same thing and they kept denying me so i kept filing and going back for C&P and finally the dr got tired of seeing my face after 4 C&P visits and 3 denials the 4 time i was awared a increase i was given 40 % for radiculpathy of left leg and 40% for radiculopathy of right leg go figure no new evidence and nothing changed. just keep fighting you will eventually win

I was also 10% for the same thing and they kept denying me so i kept filing and going back for C&P and finally the dr got tired of seeing my face after 4 C&P visits and 3 denials the 4 time i was awared a increase i was given 40 % for radiculpathy of left leg and 40% for radiculopathy of right leg go figure no new evidence and nothing changed. just keep fighting you will eventually win

I HAVE BEEN TO 3 OF THEM WITH SAME RESULTS.. THAT DOESNT WORK MAN TRUST ME.. I need some advice how to get above 10% not just keep going in blind ..lol