VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this topic

Could someone tell me what SMC,,special monthly compensation ? What conditions or what disabilites, would quilify for SMC ? I've not been on this web site for very long ,,and don't know what a lot of all these different things mean.......I'm trying to learn as much as I can from these forums ,,but some ,I just don't understand ,,,and I'm sure that there is a lot, still that I've never heard of ,,but trying to learn and understand .My husband was in Vietnam,and never even went to VA for any kind of help until he became too disable to work....He had a heart attack in 2005,,,that led to Ischemic Heart Disease. In 2006 ,,he developed DMII ,,among other health problems,,that's when he had to stop working. .....Someone told him that DMII was on the presumptive list of diseases associated with Agent Orange..We had heard of Agebt Orange a long time ago ,,but he never would go to VA and get checked out or put on the AO list of studies ,,he never wanted anything to do with VA ,because of the way they treated when coming home from over there.....After he had to stop working ,,he had no choice but to go for health care because we would no longer have health insurance,,to help pay for all the medications that he is having to take......He also filed for SSD in 2006,I,and was awarded that just in a few months.....He filed through VA for DMII ,and PTSD and was awarded 40% total for the two disabilites.,,He didn't file for the heart because it wasn't on AO list of diseases.... We sent all of his private health records in to the VA ,and they awarded him for both DMII and PTSD,,,but stated in that letter that they saw where he had other medical conditions such as the MI he had in 2005 and Hypertension ,but couldn't compensate it secondary to DMII because MI pre-dated DMII........There is a lot of people thinks, that by VA referring to that MI ,,they know about his heart condition, ,that he might quilify for Nehmer ,{ he filed for IHD in Jan.2010 ,when we found out that VA was adding to AO list },he is just waiting on the CRA to pass it ,,hopefully when Congress comes back from vacation in around Sept.14 2010.,then VA can start rating and paying compensation....He's already had a C&P test ,EF of 45% ,,,so we are hoping for a 60% comp. rating. ......That would quilify him to apply for IU,,along with award letter from SSA and a form they printed out for him ,stating that they found him disable on the Ischemic Heart Disease and Hypertension.That is a sc condition IHD ,that he filed with VA, ...................We don't understand what this SMC is and what it takes for one to be eligable for it .He might not be eligable fot it ,but it doesn't hurt to see if we can find out what's it all about. ............. Thanks in advance for any information that anyone can give. ...Thanks again.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Department of Veterans Affairs

Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) for Serious Disabilities

Can a Veteran Receive Additional Payments for Serious Disabilities?

VA can pay additional compensation to a veteran who, as a result of military service, incurred the loss or loss of use of specific organs or extremities.

What Is Considered Loss or Loss of Use?

Loss, or loss of use, is described as either an amputation or, having no effective remaining function of an extremity or organ. The disabilities VA can consider for SMC include:

· loss, or loss of use, of a hand or foot

· immobility of a joint or paralysis

· loss of sight of an eye (having only light perception)

· loss, or loss of use, of a reproductive organ

· complete loss, or loss of use, of both buttocks

· deafness of both ears (having absence of air and bone conduction)

· inability to communicate by speech (complete organic aphonia)

· loss of a percentage of tissue from a single breast, or both breasts, from mastectomy or radiation treatment

What if I Have a Combination of These Disabilities?

The VA will pay higher rates for combinations of these disabilities such as loss or loss of use of the feet, legs, hands, and arms, in specific monetary increments, based on the particular combination of the disabilities. There are also higher payments for various combinations of severe deafness with bilateral blindness.

Additional SMC is available if a veteran is service connected for paraplegia, with complete loss of bowel and bladder control.

In addition, if you have other service-connected disabilities that, in combination with the above special monthly compensation, meet certain criteria, a higher amount of SMC can also be considered.

Can VA Pay SMC for Being Bedridden, Housebound, or in Need of the Aid and Attendance of Another Person?

If a veteran is service connected at the 100% rate and is housebound, bedridden, or is so helpless to need the aid and attendance of another person, then consideration of payment of additional SMC can be considered. The amount of SMC will vary depending on the level of aid and attendance needed.

How Can You Apply?

You should contact you local VA regional office for information about applying for SMC. In determining qualifications for SMC, the VA must review the medical evidence regarding the loss or loss of use and then make a decision regarding the level of SMC to be paid.

For More Information, Call Toll-Free 1-800-827-1000

or Visit Our Web Site at http://www.va.gov.

• HadIt.com Elder

SMC is a confusing scenario.

Loss of use, extremeties, creative Organs and etc depending on where, How many.

Smaller awards are t he SMC K.

The one that really effects people is the total plus 60.

A Veteran has a condition that is rated as total and has additional disabilities either single or combined at 60 percent gwets an SMC S or who is housebound.

Do some searches at Hadit and you will see the breakdown that has been posted many times.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

Have him file for TDIU NOW!!!! He may also be eligible for SMC letter "k" if his SC disabilities cause ED (erectile dysfunction). That pays an additional $96 monthly and can be caused by DMII and heart disease.

pr

Could someone tell me what SMC,,special monthly compensation ? What conditions or what disabilites, would quilify for SMC ? I've not been on this web site for very long ,,and don't know what a lot of all these different things mean.......I'm trying to learn as much as I can from these forums ,,but some ,I just don't understand ,,,and I'm sure that there is a lot, still that I've never heard of ,,but trying to learn and understand .My husband was in Vietnam,and never even went to VA for any kind of help until he became too disable to work....He had a heart attack in 2005,,,that led to Ischemic Heart Disease. In 2006 ,,he developed DMII ,,among other health problems,,that's when he had to stop working. .....Someone told him that DMII was on the presumptive list of diseases associated with Agent Orange..We had heard of Agebt Orange a long time ago ,,but he never would go to VA and get checked out or put on the AO list of studies ,,he never wanted anything to do with VA ,because of the way they treated when coming home from over there.....After he had to stop working ,,he had no choice but to go for health care because we would no longer have health insurance,,to help pay for all the medications that he is having to take......He also filed for SSD in 2006,I,and was awarded that just in a few months.....He filed through VA for DMII ,and PTSD and was awarded 40% total for the two disabilites.,,He didn't file for the heart because it wasn't on AO list of diseases.... We sent all of his private health records in to the VA ,and they awarded him for both DMII and PTSD,,,but stated in that letter that they saw where he had other medical conditions such as the MI he had in 2005 and Hypertension ,but couldn't compensate it secondary to DMII because MI pre-dated DMII........There is a lot of people thinks, that by VA referring to that MI ,,they know about his heart condition, ,that he might quilify for Nehmer ,{ he filed for IHD in Jan.2010 ,when we found out that VA was adding to AO list },he is just waiting on the CRA to pass it ,,hopefully when Congress comes back from vacation in around Sept.14 2010.,then VA can start rating and paying compensation....He's already had a C&P test ,EF of 45% ,,,so we are hoping for a 60% comp. rating. ......That would quilify him to apply for IU,,along with award letter from SSA and a form they printed out for him ,stating that they found him disable on the Ischemic Heart Disease and Hypertension.That is a sc condition IHD ,that he filed with VA, ...................We don't understand what this SMC is and what it takes for one to be eligable for it .He might not be eligable fot it ,but it doesn't hurt to see if we can find out what's it all about. ............. Thanks in advance for any information that anyone can give. ...Thanks again.