VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Scary Thought?

Rate this question

stillhere

Question

I have my Nehmer claim in for the IHD being added to the AO list. I was sitting here and going through some old decisions from the VA. I thought my last denial for heart disease was June of 05. I had a heart attack in Oct.05!

The denial was actually in Dec. 06 and my last C&P exam by the VA was September 30,2005 In less than 30 days after their exam I had a major heart attack!!

Now to all you vets out there please make sure you understand what and how your diseases can and do effect you!!

If I do not get granted by Nehmer I think a conversation with a lawyer is needed?

Right? Maybe even if I do?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I have my Nehmer claim in for the IHD being added to the AO list. I was sitting here and going through some old decisions from the VA. I thought my last denial for heart disease was June of 05. I had a heart attack in Oct.05!

The denial was actually in Dec. 06 and my last C&P exam by the VA was September 30,2005 In less than 30 days after their exam I had a major heart attack!!

Now to all you vets out there please make sure you understand what and how your diseases can and do effect you!!

If I do not get granted by Nehmer I think a conversation with a lawyer is needed?

Right? Maybe even if I do?

stillhere, under Nehmer it goes to date of original claim not date of denial. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Very occasionally, people do have heart attacks without any previous diagnosed symptoms of heard disease. The reasons can be genetic defects, infections, symptoms below a basic diagnostic level, stupid doctor,etc.

As a result of "early onset" heart disease due to CAD (A.O. exposure) - -

I've had VA doctors tell me that an EKG was "Normal". For many years, I've had "Bradycardia", documented by countless EKGs Medical records, etc.

To the point that a good automated EKG machine will make the diagnosis, well, automatically.

Due to prescribed drugs, etc., my heart is de-timed deliberately to ease the effects of peak workloads, which generally results in obvious differences from "normal" on EKGs.

And more than once, a VA primary care doctor had the effrontery to claim that I had a normal EKG.

Maybe he/she sees so many vietnam vets with heart disease that abnormal EKGs are normal, and or the VA's EKG machines are programmed/set to ignore common symptoms in veterans. (Annoyance factor, don't you know)

It should be fairly simple to get a non VA board certified cardiologist to review the records, do a decent exam, and state that a type of heart disease, arteriosclerosis, etc was obviously present prior to the heart attack.

Personally, I would not trust a VA cardiologist who is not licensed and board certified to practice interventional cardiology in the state of practice.

An 1151 & Tort claim might be the result of a VA doctor's not diagnosing conditions that lead to a heart attack. (Lawyer time!)

Are you implying that because you had a heart attack you had heart disease?? I'm not sure but must heart disease come before a heart attack?? Or is it possible to just have a heart attack w/o heart disease??

pr

Are you implying that because you had a heart attack you had heart disease?? I'm not sure but must heart disease come before a heart attack?? Or is it possible to just have a heart attack w/o heart disease??

pr

Exactly! I am saying that on Sept. 30th 2005 I had an exam by QTC and they said I had no signs of heart disease.

Yet on Oct.24th 05 I was rushed to the ER and an emergency anigo plasty discovered blockages of 100%/70/40. I was then in emergency heart surgery and by waiting and not going to the ER right away I had damaged 40% of my heart.

Less than 30Days!!

Exactly! I am saying that on Sept. 30th 2005 I had an exam by QTC and they said I had no signs of heart disease.

Yet on Oct.24th 05 I was rushed to the ER and an emergency anigo plasty discovered blockages of 100%/70/40. I was then in emergency heart surgery and by waiting and not going to the ER right away I had damaged 40% of my heart.

Less than 30Days!!

this may be a small point but blockages you describe are part of heart disease and would have been discovered well before your VA exam if they had done more exacting tests. Just a stress test or EKG wouldn't show everything. I know because I had near total blockages that showed up only with the contrast scanning and angioplasty. My angina had been building for fifteen years and more that doctors had passed off to poor jaw alignment and bursitis. I figured it was due to a misspent youth.