VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Scary Thought?

Rate this question

stillhere

Question

I have my Nehmer claim in for the IHD being added to the AO list. I was sitting here and going through some old decisions from the VA. I thought my last denial for heart disease was June of 05. I had a heart attack in Oct.05!

The denial was actually in Dec. 06 and my last C&P exam by the VA was September 30,2005 In less than 30 days after their exam I had a major heart attack!!

Now to all you vets out there please make sure you understand what and how your diseases can and do effect you!!

If I do not get granted by Nehmer I think a conversation with a lawyer is needed?

Right? Maybe even if I do?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Be sure and submit all the new info for your claim. I had 2 silent heart attacks after VA said I was ok, The so called silent heart attack is one that happens fairly commnly where you have the heart attack and survive it without medical treatment, It shows up on the cardiogram and other tests. That is why its important to have a baseline of tests,

Good Luck on your claim

Be sure and submit all the new info for your claim. I had 2 silent heart attacks after VA said I was ok, The so called silent heart attack is one that happens fairly commnly where you have the heart attack and survive it without medical treatment, It shows up on the cardiogram and other tests. That is why its important to have a baseline of tests,

Good Luck on your claim

Thanks Pete that is what the ER cardio said about mine too. Seems I had a silent one he thinks late Friday that woke me up. I felt like crap but insisted I was just indigestion and took tums and pebto for most of the weekend. Did not help much. Did not get much sleep and diarrhea of course. Went to the dump on Sunday AM and arms hurt so bad had to give the wife to help. She wanted to shop later and I did for a while and then was getting dizzy so we left. Called my private Primary doc and he could not get me into the afternoon and I said fine.

Keep in mind the whole time I am having on and off chest pains and and still because the VA said I had no heart disease thought it was not my heart! Went in to the PCP and within 20 minutes I was in an ambulance and having an active heart attack! On the operating table and finished up in my room in less than 90 minutes!

I intentional made this post in as much detail as I remember for those that might come along later with these symptoms. Do not do as I did! Go to the ER as soon as possible!

• HadIt.com Elder

Besides chest pain,(left side), dizziness, arm pain. Is there a complete exhaustion with a flushed headache feeling?

I have been diagnosed with bradicardia and COPD, but have been feeling completely wore out after doing very little house cleaning. Have to stand up slow or I get weak , dizzy and pass out sometimes. Chest pains are getting increasingly worse. After being awake four hours im wiped out and back in bed.

You missed the point?

Less than 30 days after a VA exam told me I had no heart disease!

I see now, how and where I missed your point. And you are 100% correct in that all vets should make sure they understand what and how their diseases can and does effect them. But unless the doctors agree we are somewhat screwed in getting proper treatment. Technology has of course improved greatly since late 70's but still there are many cracks we can fall into. 

When I first started having chest pains in my early thirties I went to the ER (non VA) a number of times. Every time I went it was DX'd non cardiac related. I had to have that first MI before they realized I had cardiac problems. Now thirty years later with well documented cardiac history even the slightest hint to my VA PCP that it might be heart related she sends me for extensive testing. I don't go running to the doctor every time I have chest pains because nitro usually clears it up with one or two doses. but when I see her I tell her about it and depending on the circumstances she will schedule tests and/or an appointment with the cardiologist.  

I see now, how and where I missed your point. And you are 100% correct in that all vets should make sure they understand what and how their diseases can and does effect them. But unless the doctors agree we are somewhat screwed in getting proper treatment. Technology has of course improved greatly since late 70's but still there are many cracks we can fall into. 

When I first started having chest pains in my early thirties I went to the ER (non VA) a number of times. Every time I went it was DX'd non cardiac related. I had to have that first MI before they realized I had cardiac problems. Now thirty years later with well documented cardiac history even the slightest hint to my VA PCP that it might be heart related she sends me for extensive testing. I don't go running to the doctor every time I have chest pains because nitro usually clears it up with one or two doses. but when I see her I tell her about it and depending on the circumstances she will schedule tests and/or an appointment with the cardiologist.  

Yeah same here I am actually going to my private cardio doc tomorrow I had my son over last night to watch the game and he noticed I was having some heavy breathing from walking from the couch to the kitchen. He is an RT at one of the local hospital ER's and said dad please go get it checked. Just hope this does not xxxx up my SSDI claim that is in now!

"If I do not get granted by Nehmer I think a conversation with a lawyer is needed?

Right? Maybe even if I do?"

You got good advise here.

I am wondering how Nehmer will effect my EED for my claim.

My husband had a heart attack at the VA while he was working. They rushed him to ER, gave him EKG, and said it was a sinus infection.1988.

It was the first documented manifestation of his undiagnosed and untreated DMII.( AO award 2009)

I FTCAed them prior to knowing this was due to DMII)and they admitted they had caused his death 6 years later by knowing he had heart disease all that time -6 years- and failed to foprmally diagnose and treat it.He then had 100% disabling CVA from the undiagnosed Heart disease(much of the evidence of malpractice was 'hidden' but documented)in hard to read abbreviations etc etc..all in his VA med recs.

You might want to read through the considerable info here under the FTCA forum.

If the VA was aware of any condition you had and you were receiving VA health care,and the VA failed to properly diagnose and treat that condition

and you can prove you became further disabled (or dead) due to their failure-= that is malpractice and if you fall into the Statute of Limits, you can FTCA them.

And/or File a Section 1151 claim which has no Statute of Limits.