VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Just Wonder If This Is Possible

Rate this question

stillhere

Question

A vet who is a vet of Vietnam I am trying to help. If we send in his formal/informal for benefits associated to Agent orange exposure.

Will the VA take that claim and send him for an Agent Orange registry exam and then files for all they file related to AO and also any secondary??

This vet has had Dm2 and heart by passes and PN and who knows what else. I know when I went for my Agent Orange exam they just put on the report what I should apply.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

A claim should be filed as soon as possible. If the veteran has never filed a claim, the VA will have no "C" file in the system. To "speed things up", copies of service and medical records

should be included with the claim whenever possible. Do not assume that the VA will automatically do anything. A claim should specifically list the conditions for which compensation is sought.

Supposedly, secondary conditions are covered, but the VA has a very poor reputation for doing this properly, even when VA treating doctors have made medical record entries favorable to connecting the secondary conditions.

The A. O. "Exam" is nothing but the same exam that any veteran seeking medical benefits might be given. The only difference is that it's called an A.O. exam. Next,

placing the veteran on the A.O. "registry" should be done by the VA. This may be "forgotten", unless the VA staff are reminded to do so. Supposedly, there is a person at each VAMC

responsible for the registry entry, etc. I'd try calling the nearest convenient VA Clinic or other medical facility, and request an initial appointment and A.O. Exam.

If the Veteran has any copies of service records proving service in Vietnam, they should be copied, and sent in with the claim.

A DD214, etc. should be taken to the initial exam, along with any current medical records, and any service medical records that are relevant to potential claims, or treatment.

Some facilities conduct an initial interview, and then schedule the exam for a later date. A copy of the DD-214, etc. should be made available at this time by the veteran, in order to "prove" entitlement to VA care.

Originally, I sort of "backdoor-ed" things, by showing up with my DD-214, and my private doctors prescriptions, and requested the prescriptions from the VA under the veterans "drug act", which was at the time, fairly new.

(At the time the "Co-Pay" was $2.50, not $8 or $8.50, as it is now.)

A vet who is a vet of Vietnam I am trying to help. If we send in his formal/informal for benefits associated to Agent orange exposure.

Will the VA take that claim and send him for an Agent Orange registry exam and then files for all they file related to AO and also any secondary??

This vet has had Dm2 and heart by passes and PN and who knows what else. I know when I went for my Agent Orange exam they just put on the report what I should apply.

Edited by Chuck75

Well seems like there are many avenues to get to the same place.

At my MC they actually schedule you for an Agent orange exam and then march you down to the compensation office and help you will out a claim form using the AO exam to base the claims on.

I did not do this myself. I just put in a claim and then sent then what they asked for and away we go.

Anyhow this guy has been laboring this for a long time and I tell him what to do and he doesn't and then calls or emails. I guess I will have to just send in a claim for him and when they send all the questions to his house he will be set.