VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Scars

Rate this question

BILLYBOB

Question

I am a VN vet with heart attack at 43, open heart at 43, multiple angioplasties, stent, stroke, etc before age 50. The open heart was performed in 1991 almost twenty years ago. My question is about the scars that were left from that surgery. I have looked at the VA information on that subject listed under "Skin" and I'm still not sure if those scars are considered compensable. The guidance seems to focus on linear vs nonlinear in shape. The scar from my leg where they removed the vein they used for the bypasses and the scar on my chest meet the size requirments for 20%. Are these scars considered secondary to the IHD I have? I ask this question because the VA doctor that examined me for the C&P measured the scars for his report. Has anyone had any experience with this issue?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Have you filed the IHD claim yet? Is that what the CD & P was for?

I see you listed no SC disability.

Make sure you claim the stroke as secondary to the IHD.

My claim is similiar- I am not a doctor but if you have IHD- it is as likely as not that the CVA is due to it unless the VA could somehow find another reason for the stroke.The reason is that IHD is an atherosclerotic involvement of the heart causing narrowing of arteries- which could include eventually in some cases- -the arteries of the brain.(cerebral ischemia)

If a doctor states that for you and gives a full medical rationale then the VA would SC the CVA as secondary to the IHD.

I assume (but not sure how these new regs will really work)

that if the VA grants 100% for IHD then they should consider SMC entitlement for any additional but independent disabilities due to the IHD.

Did VA ever deny your heart claim in the past?

I mean 'independent' as involving separate organs but yet the etiology would be the same.

• HadIt.com Elder

jmo but, I believe, if the VA didn't consider those scars in the original decision in 1991, then you have a CUE for either 10% at minimum or possibly 20% retro to 1991. Was the surgery done at the VA??

pr

I am a VN vet with heart attack at 43, open heart at 43, multiple angioplasties, stent, stroke, etc before age 50. The open heart was performed in 1991 almost twenty years ago. My question is about the scars that were left from that surgery. I have looked at the VA information on that subject listed under "Skin" and I'm still not sure if those scars are considered compensable. The guidance seems to focus on linear vs nonlinear in shape. The scar from my leg where they removed the vein they used for the bypasses and the scar on my chest meet the size requirments for 20%. Are these scars considered secondary to the IHD I have? I ask this question because the VA doctor that examined me for the C&P measured the scars for his report. Has anyone had any experience with this issue?

I filed last November for IHD, Stroke, but just completed the C&P last week. It took 8 months to get the C&P. The heart surgery was not done at the VA. Two of the three bypasses failed three months after surgery. No other surgical options were available at that point. I never filed before because I was told - like many others - it wasn't compensable so why file. Big mistake on my part - Nineteen years lost. I did file for CVA as secondary. The stroke caused me to lose my vestibular system (balance) so when I walk I look like a drunk. I used to be a pilot but the heart disease and stoke ended that. I worked as long as I could but had to quit a few years back. It's too bad you can't be compensated for 20 yrs of suffering and a lost career. I have reviewed the VA information and feel I should get something but the damage to my heart is on the right side, not the left (pumping side) so my ejection fraction is above 50%. I don't know what the MET level will be. Anything would help.

Have you filed the IHD claim yet? Is that what the CD & P was for?

I see you listed no SC disability.

Make sure you claim the stroke as secondary to the IHD.

My claim is similiar- I am not a doctor but if you have IHD- it is as likely as not that the CVA is due to it unless the VA could somehow find another reason for the stroke.The reason is that IHD is an atherosclerotic involvement of the heart causing narrowing of arteries- which could include eventually in some cases- -the arteries of the brain.(cerebral ischemia)

If a doctor states that for you and gives a full medical rationale then the VA would SC the CVA as secondary to the IHD.

I assume (but not sure how these new regs will really work)

that if the VA grants 100% for IHD then they should consider SMC entitlement for any additional but independent disabilities due to the IHD.

Did VA ever deny your heart claim in the past?

I mean 'independent' as involving separate organs but yet the etiology would be the same.

If you just had a C&P did they do a stress test for your heart? If they did there should be a reading there for your mets and for your LVE they will use the one that gives you the best rating.

I question how you could do a walking stress test if you have trouble with balance?

All I can offer you as far as the suffering and losed career is I am deeply sorry for you and I know that will not get you anywhere, but thought I would mention it. The other thing your mistake for not filing for IHD was just that a mistake, how were you or any of the many vets that did not file and all those that died!

As you can see this particular issue really gets my dander up!

I hope I can control myself on the 25th!