VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Scars

Rate this question

BILLYBOB

Question

I am a VN vet with heart attack at 43, open heart at 43, multiple angioplasties, stent, stroke, etc before age 50. The open heart was performed in 1991 almost twenty years ago. My question is about the scars that were left from that surgery. I have looked at the VA information on that subject listed under "Skin" and I'm still not sure if those scars are considered compensable. The guidance seems to focus on linear vs nonlinear in shape. The scar from my leg where they removed the vein they used for the bypasses and the scar on my chest meet the size requirments for 20%. Are these scars considered secondary to the IHD I have? I ask this question because the VA doctor that examined me for the C&P measured the scars for his report. Has anyone had any experience with this issue?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I assume (but not sure how these new regs will really work)

that if the VA grants 100% for IHD then they should consider SMC entitlement for any additional but independent disabilities due to the IHD.

How would this work? I have always assumed that 100% compensation rated is as far as one can go, with the exception of special care requirements that you can receive SMC for. Doesn't seem quite fair, such as a case like mine where I will likely receive 100% IHD on top of my already existing 90% rating for wounds received in combat, but will still end up only getting the same as someone who receives a 100% rating for IHD alone. But, to my understanding that is the way it works? I too have suffered from IHD for over 25 years but never filed for compensation as I had been informed that no awards were given nor expected to be for IHD developed post service. Heck I wasn't even aware of Agent Orange exposure until this year and I found that out thru the VFW not from the VA. I suppose that I am to blaim for not keeping informed about the latest findings over the years, but as much as I hate to say it, I was always under the impression that as a retired Marine and Nam Vet drawing Disability Comp for combat wounds that the VA or Department of the Navy might keep me informed on changes that would or might effect me. Certainly wrong about that!

Based upon past medical history and records I provided plus a letter from my cardiologist, the VA doctor perfroming the C&P ordered a MUGGA scan (nuclear medicine scan) and a echocardiogram. I did not do a treadmill because past echo's (multiple echo's) revealed ejection fraction below 50% plus I have left ventricular hypertrophy and diastolic dysfunction Grade II. I assume my comp level will be based upon the METS level assigned by the VA physician conducting the C&P since the ejection fraction is considered normal above 50%. My original question was about the scars from the open heart being secondary to IHD. I would assume they are compensable but will have to wait.

If you just had a C&P did they do a stress test for your heart? If they did there should be a reading there for your mets and for your LVE they will use the one that gives you the best rating.

I question how you could do a walking stress test if you have trouble with balance?

All I can offer you as far as the suffering and losed career is I am deeply sorry for you and I know that will not get you anywhere, but thought I would mention it. The other thing your mistake for not filing for IHD was just that a mistake, how were you or any of the many vets that did not file and all those that died!

As you can see this particular issue really gets my dander up!

I hope I can control myself on the 25th!

Based upon past medical history and records I provided plus a letter from my cardiologist, the VA doctor perfroming the C&P ordered a MUGGA scan (nuclear medicine scan) and a echocardiogram. I did not do a treadmill because past echo's (multiple echo's) revealed ejection fraction below 50% plus I have left ventricular hypertrophy and diastolic dysfunction Grade II. I assume my comp level will be based upon the METS level assigned by the VA physician conducting the C&P since the ejection fraction is considered normal above 50%. My original question was about the scars from the open heart being secondary to IHD. I would assume they are compensable but will have to wait.

Yes the scars are rated during the process. In my last award there was a question asked by the rater point blank to the examiner about my scars length and such.

BillyBob, don't mean to jump in on your post, hope you do not mind. My scar issue is not the heart, but the Gall Bladder. The VA has SC (0%) the Gall Bladder removal, but never mentioned the scar, and I never thought about it. My Gall Bladder scar is not your usual Gall Bladder scar. The Military Doctors were so incompetent that they could not tell the difference between Gall Stones and GAS. By the time a civilian Doctor got to me, I had extremely large stones all through my bile system. Instead of a normal small scar of less then 6 inches, mine is at least 14 inches long and 1 inch wide in some places. They had to butcher me to get the stones. BTW, I had the operation in 1972, and got the VA decision around 1973-74. It is unstable and very painful to look at:). One good thing, if I had reenlisted, I would most likely be dead, and for Gall Stones, Good Grief. Is it to late to file a CUE since it has been so long? BillyBob, Good Luck.

Papa