VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health Exam

Rate this question

Sidney56

Question

I just had a Mental Health C&P last month and the results were suppose to be sent

to the AMC for decision on an appeal. See thread below for background:

I received a letter today from the mental health department at VAMC stating the following:

The following Mental Health appointment has been scheduled for you at the XXXXXX,NC VA Medical

Center.

This appointment is to assess any mental health needs that either you or your provider requested.

This appointment will last approximately one and a half hours.

What is strange to me is that my appointments with my treating psychiatrist usually only last 30

minutes or last. Does this have anything to do with the C&P or just a regular appointment. Just

asking for opinions, I know no one will know exactly what it is for. It's just very unusual for

an appointment to last this long.

Edited by Sidney56

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Your rater has asked for a more detailed exam. Its not really a bad thing just another delay but you are getting close.

Your rater has asked for a more detailed exam. Its not really a bad thing just another delay but you are getting close.

Thanks Pete old buddy....I surely hope this is the case!! The psychiatrist that I have the appointment with is my Doc

that I have been seeing regularly for my mental condition(mood disorder). She has stated in her notes that I have a

GAF-40 and is unemployable due to medical condition and meds that she has subscribed. She also suggested to my wife

and stated in her notes that I am in need of home health care.

If the AMC has asked her to elaborate on her findings and give a detailed report, this could be the break through that

I need to finally get a rating that is equal to my condition. She has been very straight forward in the past that she

would do whatever she can to help.

If this was ordered from the AMC it seems to be kind of fast, since I just had the C&P last month.

What mental health assessment would take 1 1/2 hours to complete?

Edited by Sidney56

• HadIt.com Elder

"What mental health assessment would take 1 1/2 hours to complete?"

OH MY GOSH!

They have sent you to the famous "ONE and ONE HALF HOUR MENTAL HEALTH ASSESSMENT"!

That's the one that takes 1 1/2 hours, and it consists of, probably, 30 minutes worth of talking. Maybe.

calm down, take deep breaths, contemplate your belly button........................

oh, and I almost forgot, don't talk about your childhood or your first romantic rejection...........................

just sayin'...............:cool:

Edited by LarryJ

• HadIt.com Elder

Larry

The one that asks 550 questions and than puts you in a box. Cause after you answer the questions the shrinks know the answers.

Larry

The one that asks 550 questions and than puts you in a box. Cause after you answer the questions the shrinks know the answers.

Thanks Pete for your answer....not being sarcastic, because I have no idea what Larry said even though maybe he was

trying to be helpful.

The reason that I asked the question is, what more questions could my psychiatrist ask if she has been treating me

all along. Well maybe they have a script just for these exams. I don't know, just grasping at straws. I'm not nervous

about the exam if that is what Larry was referring to. As I stated, this Doc has always said that she would help in

whatever capacity she could. She has been true to her word so far. She even asked once if there was anything else she

should enter in her notes that would help with my claim, other than I'm unemployable.

This is from her Mental Health Physician Notes:

Mr XXXXX is a Navy Veteran has known hx of:

I. mood disorder secondary to medical condition/secondary to a TBI 1975 following closed head

injury/coma; & subsequent cognitive disorder;

II. deferred;

III. medical-CT head 7/17/09 read no acute changes/nl; known renal insuff, ED, HL, HTN, hx thrombosis,

chronic airway obstruction, colon polyps-per CPRS;

IV. no acute stressors identified, enduring health issues;

V. present GAF-45

This veteran is unemployable and in need of home health services.

Edited by Sidney56

I finally got someone in the mental health department to pick up the phone,

so I asked what type of assessment I was scheduled for and was told I had

no assessment scheduled for that date, just my regular 30 min appointment

as always. I asked why did the letter state that the appointment was for

1 and 1/2 hours and he said that he didn't know what letter I was talking

about. I told him the letter I am reading the information to him from, sent

from the mental health dept. He said, "Oh, must be a mistake". These guys

are total idiots, and I am the one in need of treatment!!! Unbelievable!!

Well, at least now I don't have to wait for another exam to reach the AMC, so

maybe they will go ahead and make a decision with the C&P.

Oh yea, LarryJ I think I get what you were saying now. Forgive an old man

with TBI. We tend to take longer to understand some things.