VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health Exam

Rate this question

Sidney56

Question

I just had a Mental Health C&P last month and the results were suppose to be sent

to the AMC for decision on an appeal. See thread below for background:

I received a letter today from the mental health department at VAMC stating the following:

The following Mental Health appointment has been scheduled for you at the XXXXXX,NC VA Medical

Center.

This appointment is to assess any mental health needs that either you or your provider requested.

This appointment will last approximately one and a half hours.

What is strange to me is that my appointments with my treating psychiatrist usually only last 30

minutes or last. Does this have anything to do with the C&P or just a regular appointment. Just

asking for opinions, I know no one will know exactly what it is for. It's just very unusual for

an appointment to last this long.

Edited by Sidney56

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

That is not a C&P but you should get copies of the progress notes that come from the assessment

Yea Pete I know. I was referring to the C&P that I had last month and has been forwarded

to the AMC. They are suppose to be processing it for increase/IU. 800# said I should hear

something by Christmas. Taking that statement and $1 should get me a cup of coffee.

I'm not sure if this is an assessment or not. I think it is just my regular 90 day appointment

with my psychiatrist.

Edited by Sidney56

• HadIt.com Elder

And, I'm sorry Sidney..........sometimes my "sense of humor" is not nearly as humorous to others as it seems to me to be. The use of humour (or, I should say MY use of humour) is just a substitute for taking more mind-numbing drugs.........please forgive me. I truly do mean well. If I took all the drugs that they have me on, consistently, then I would be unable to walk, much less crack "jokes"............and, sometiems, after I've been sitting here for several hours, in too much pain (physically and mentally) to do much else except sit here.............EVERYTHING is FUNNY! And, I so much want someone to talk to.............

I went to my psychiatrist appointment today and it was as I expected,

a regular scheduled visit. Just wanted to give an update.

She did change my meds so if someone could give me some input on these

if you take them, I would appreciate it.

She took me off trazodone and haldoloperidol and started me on mirtazapine

once a day and resperidone twice a day. I guess it is back to sleepy town

again.

I did ask her about the C&P exam, but she said she was not privy to that information

and I would hear about the results before she does. However, she said that the C&P

doctor did not form an opinion but stated the facts of the case. She also said that

the doctor was VERY supportive of the diagnosis that she had given me. As we were leaving

she whispered to my wife, "from her point of view it looks very good".

I don't understand that statement because she said from the beginning that she was not

privy to the information from the exam. Oh well, maybe she had a gag order and was trying to

throw some hints.

Edited by Sidney56

• HadIt.com Elder

I went to my psychiatrist appointment today and it was as I expected,

a regular scheduled visit. Just wanted to give an update.

She did change my meds so if someone could give me some input on these

if you take them, I would appreciate it.

She took me off trazodone and haldoloperidol and started me on mirtazapine

once a day and resperidone twice a day. I guess it is back to sleepy town

again.

I did ask her about the C&P exam, but she said she was not privy to that information

and I would hear about the results before she does. However, she said that the C&P

doctor did not form an opinion but stated the facts of the case. She also said that

the doctor was VERY supportive of the diagnosis that she had given me. As we were leaving

she whispered to my wife, "from her point of view it looks very good".

I don't understand that statement because she said from the beginning that she was not

privy to the information from the exam. Oh well, maybe she had a gag order and was trying to

throw some hints.

Actually it would be one doctor discussing another doctor's findings with the "patient", without the other doctor's knowledge or permission. That don't happen.

just sayin.......